I did not even knew that a bird named "Chimney Swift" exists! It is a species, native to the American Continent, entirely unknown in Europe. Thank you very much for mention them! Hopefully that chimney will stand for ever. Nowadays the majority of new homes are built without fireplaces\, due to their negative impact on the climate in our solar-system…
Actually this is the last year for that school to be standing. It will be torn down next year which is sad because these birds will all have to find a new home somewhere. There are hundreds of them to so hopefully they can.

Actually this is the last year for that school to be standing. It will be torn down next year which is sad because these birds will all have to find a new home somewhere. There are hundreds of them to so hopefully they can.
Hopefully they will find other houses with chimneys. Electric heating system don't need chimneys and those from gas-ovens are just small metal pipes…

What a day today was:
  • First there was Chaos in a hole.
  • Then Mayhem got buried under some soil.
  • Stiebel Entron was dropped off a shovel.
  • Walgreens was bitten by Sunshine.
  • Laura almost disappeared in plain sight.
  • And larvae were eaten by the dozens.
In other words: I dug over my potato patch
The dux were so eager to snatch worms and bug larvae from the soil that i had to be extremely careful not to hit somebody with the spade or step on a flat foot. But despite all care, Chaos fell into a hole that i had just dug, Mayhem stuck his head under a pile of soil that i had just dropped, Stiebel Entron stubbornly stood on the pile of soil on my spade. And then Sunny Sunshine bit Mr. Walgreens because he ate her worm.
And when the incubator gang was done, Laura Duck almost disappeared:
Her plumage has exactly the same colour as the soil…

Because of that reason, conservation efforts are underway to put up 'fake' chimneys for them to live in!

VINS in Vermont is working with Audubon Vermont to get some up. Here's a video of one going up:

A fake chimney! - That is a wonderful idea!
I can help the birds and i can train my wood-working skills during that project. - Just installed my new table-saw and need to learn how to work with it, like cutting miter-joins etc...
Need to do some research to find instructions or a plan what the birds exactly need.

Today I found out that a relative of the Chimney Swift, the Common Swift lives in Europe. Similar to the Chimney Swift who breeds in North America and overwinters in South America, The Common Swift breeds in Europe and overwinters in Southern Africa.
As a kid i wanted to live like a Swift: Spend one half of the year on the hemisphere where it is summer. There were hundreds of swifts nesting in my uncles barn, within the roof-structure and by the end of August they all left with their younglings.
They clean the skies from all these pesky bloodsucking insects like a living vacuum. The ducks do a great job eating all the ticks and stink-bugs, so if i could attract a swarm of Chimney Swifts here they would help with the mosquitoes and gnats.

Because of that reason, conservation efforts are underway to put up 'fake' chimneys for them to live in!

VINS in Vermont is working with Audubon Vermont to get some up. Here's a video of one going up:

Thank you so much for trying to save these birds. I was concerned as to what would happen to our flock in Ohio when our old school is taken down. I pray that they can all find a safe place to roost.

Look what my grandson won at the poultry auction!!!

20240316_113913.jpg

Pair of 1 year old show quality Aylesbury!!!

Thank you so much for trying to save these birds. I was concerned as to what would happen to our flock in Ohio when our old school is taken down. I pray that they can all find a safe place to roost.
Well, you can ask "them" to leave the chimney standing as a historic landmark and build the new buildings around it. Or/and you can set up a fake chimney in your yard...
I wonder why i have never noticed these birds here, at least i live in Big Chimney. 😜

Back
Top Bottom