The Ultimate Chicken Tractor!

jungleexplorer2

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Okay. So about a month ago, I was in farm store and they sold me 2 week old 50 Cornish X chicks for $20. I had always wanted to raise some meat birds on my land organically, and the opportunity knocked when I was no expecting it. So I set out to build a ground grazing box, so I could put the chicks out on my four acre wheat field to graze. Well, my mind had a lot of fun and what started out as a simply project is now turning into, THE ULTIMATE CHICKEN TRACTOR! LOL!

I had a lot of junk laying around and I started putting it all together. I am not finished, but I thought I would post my progress so far. I am making a video of the whole process and will post it when it is done.

I had some old mobile home axles, so I decide to put my tractor on wheels.

Here is sided with the door installed.

Structure finished and ready for deployment!

In the field and ready for chicks.

Chicks in the HOUSE! Temporary watering and feeding system installed.

Custom 30 gallon on-board watering system.

Custom automatic feeding system

The whole coop

Next I am installing a 12 volt solar system to power lights, predator deterrent system, and the 2000lb ATV Winch that will pull the tractor along. Might even put a wifi camera on board to monitor the birds.

Great job, what's the the length? I got everything to build one except the mobile home axels.

It is 8 feet by 10 feet. Ever mobile home comes with a set of those disposable axles. They are illegal to use for anything else, so you should be able to find some pretty cheap if not free. I would call a mobile home mover. My mover asked me if I wanted the axles off my home when he moved it to my land back in 2010. I said yes, even though I had no idea what I would do with them at the time. I bet most people say no, and the mover has to take them and get rid of them somehow. I bet they have stacks of them somewhere.

Is there a place for them to get off the ground and roost like boxes or do they lay on the ground?

Currently, I have meat birds in it and they can barley walk, much less jump. They all go in the freezer tomorrow though and then I will put laying hens in there. I will put some roost and some of my double nesting boxes in the coop for them.

Here is a video of how to build my custom double nesting box, just in case you are interested.

0.jpg

Would like to see a video of the mobile coop rolling and turning...and what about the gap created by the wheels?

Back
Top Bottom