tips and secrets of the GQF 1502 sportsman...

well for now all seems well.. i plugged up the other vent on the side leaving only the 1 vent on the back open and the humidity jumped to 50 %. i already have 2 very large sponges in the humidity pan.. will put a few jars in in the am if it isn't closer to 60+ in the am..not sure if it is a good thing to block off both vents on the side but will see what happens!

My dream... a sportsman. My wife would have a FIT! I can only use my small bator (brinsea) and I'm only suppose to hatch 2 times a year, but I threw in an extra this year.

it has been my dream for a long time to own one as well! I got one heck of a deal on this bator. The gentleman I purchased it in May of 2011 and then injured himself and had to have back surgery. during this time he was not able to keep his cgickens and soon after got rid of them all and decided he would sell me the bator. I got all the paperwork and also was able to transfer the warrenty. I paid him half of what he paid! I got all the egg racks and he also had the 5 gal bucket for the humidity. I do feel for him as I am sure it was a hard decision but he still had the older 1200 model he decided to keep. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal. Everyone deserves to "treat" themselves once in a while!! It makes me feel good because I am a mother and a wife and always put everyone elses needs and wants before my own! I guess I can say I have used up my getting something for myself for a few years if not more !!!!!! Again Good luck and when my bator and I come to an agreement I will be happy to hatch eggs for anyone!!

I just received a 1502 for Christmas. You mentioned sponges for your H2O pan. Do you have any of the wicking pads that go with the unit? They helped my humidity tremendously. We live in a log cabin and the wood sucks out any humidity in the air. The humidity pan even has fitted slots for the GQF pads so you can add more than one. One pad laying on it's belly (not sideways in a slot) was perfect for our dry house. I might try to cut a pad in half and fit in on one side of the slot next time I rotate egg trays. Without the pad I'm running 35%; with the pad laying in the water pan it's 48%. I am using my old table top incubators as hatchers though since I have staggered eggs/hatch times. I know the humidity is regulated by surface area of the water... I love the idea of an aquarium pump and stone - BRILLIANT!!!

Just starting my first hatch with my new 1502. The book says during the first 18 days the water pan is sufficient, and during the hatch add one wick. With no wick I am riding between 30 and 35% with a wick 46 to 48%. I have no plugs removed. Do I up the humidity during the first 18 days or go with the 30 to 35% area? With one wick I could probably lower it by removing a plug or two?

Looking for some info on the older electronic thermostats used in the sportsman incubators. Last week I picked one up used, set the temperature, and depending on how warm the room was it would heat for 3 or 4 seconds then rest for 3 or 4. Then yesterday I added another 159 eggs and now it blinks on and off once per second. The temperature is still 99.5° but I was just curious how others act?

I have no complaints with the thermostats, it's been 52° up to 95° around the incubator and the temperature has held so close I can't see it.
on these humidity % , is everyone going off wet bulb / dry bulb readings?

I have no complaints with the thermostats, it's been 52° up to 95° around the incubator and the temperature has held so close I can't see it.
on these humidity % , is everyone going off wet bulb / dry bulb readings?

Back
Top Bottom