Twisted Toes - chick NOT born with it, developing after 1 week or so- will vitamins fix?

wahmommy

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I've also made the chick shoes, and I was kicking myself for not noticing that she needed shoes the first week, but I just looked at photos taken a couple of days after hatching and she doesn't have twisted or curled toes...I've added Durvel Vitamins and Electrolytes to their water, and they aren't on newspaper they are on paper towels with shavings... I didn't leave the chick in the incubator for more than 24 hours. What could cause this, and what else can I do for this poor chick? I know that she will probably be fine even if I can't fix her feet anyway, but I would like to help if there's a chance...I'm not breeding or anything, just backyard layers.

Last edited:
Could be curly toe paralysis???

Here are some links for you: the following is from this website:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Increase Riboflavin for Curled Toes

• In Curled Toe Paralysis (also called Curly Toes), chick walks on tops of curled toes & toenails (vs. Twisted Toes, in which young or old bird walks on sides of twisted toes). Chick will become unable to stand, and often rest or try to walk on hocks to relieve pain of toes.
  • Caused by Riboflavin (Vitamin B12) deficiency.
    • If caused by chick diet (feed that is out-of-date, formulated poorly, or not formulated specifically for chicks), toes start curling within 1-2 weeks.
    • If caused by diet of mother hen (such as solely Layer Feed--without access to Riboflavin-rich foods such as certain greens, etc.), toes start curling within a couple days of birth.
  • IMMEDIATELY increase Riboflavin in chick's diet. Give supplement or multi-vitamin drink with high Riboflavin (Vitamin B12), or Riboflavin-rich foods such as paprika, dried coriander, spearmint, parsley, ground almonds or sesame seeds (you can grind these with a hammer), dry roasted soy (NOT fresh soy), Romano or Swiss cheese, some types of fish (Mackerel, Atlantic Salmon, Trout), etc.
    • If treatment started within couple days of chick being unable to stand, toes will straighten within a few days usually.
    • If treatment started later, toes may not recover & bird may need to be put down or die within 3-4 weeks.
    • Chick Shoes (see below) might also help."

Last edited:
Hi - thanks for answering.. well it is definitely twisted toes... all her toes twist and she's able to walk but her toes are twisting sideways... I've added vitamins to the water, and I'm keeping her in the shoes- I'm really hoping something works although I've searched the forums archives and it doesn't look hopeful -anyway, maybe my chick will get lucky and we will be able to fix it. Wish I knew what caused it.

I did find this -again not hopeful :( http://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/crooked-toes I did use low humidity but my understanding is that would affect the chick immediately at hatch, and she didn't develop it til a week later.. I know the brooder wasn't too cold and there's no wire floor on the brooder, so that leaves genetics and incubation. I did do dry incubation but not during hatching and the egg appears to lose the proper amount of weight (I was weighing them). Ugh.

I did find this -again not hopeful :( http://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/crooked-toes I did use low humidity but my understanding is that would affect the chick immediately at hatch, and she didn't develop it til a week later.. I know the brooder wasn't too cold and there's no wire floor on the brooder, so that leaves genetics and incubation. I did do dry incubation but not during hatching and the egg appears to lose the proper amount of weight (I was weighing them). Ugh.

I have done dry incubation too- as have a lot of folks. I hope your little one's feet get better soon!

I have done dry incubation too- as have a lot of folks. I hope your little one's feet get better soon!
Hi thanks so much for trying to help :) His/her legs look a little bit straighter since I started the splints... I'm hoping I can at least use the splints to fix it, whatever the cause.

My 4 week old sultan just recently developed a twisted toe on the back toe (she has 5 toes) I know it is recent because I examine the chicks for injuries every day. We give the chicks vitamins in their water every time we change it (about twice a day). She seems to be limping slightly. The toe is twisted upside down so that the claw is facing up. Is there anything I could do to fix the toe.

Back
Top Bottom