Using treated wood for a bird aviary?

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
We're doing aviaries for our small birds, and I've found mixed information on if treated wood is safe or not.
The birds housed will be lovebirds (separated from the other birds), budgies, finches, canaries, diamond doves, and perhaps cockatiels or some other aussie grass parakeets.
I can kind or understand why people say no to it but also not. I know birds are sensitive to chemicals but how would they actually ingest them? I know parrots chew, but with these little parrots I doubt they could chew very much if at all off the wood, rather just beaking it. And parrots when they chew, they don't actually eat the wood, just drop it, so would they really be ingesting anything, if they even managed to chew pieces off?
We found some perfect wood but it is tantalized. Would rather not, but can probably stop them chewing it by making a 'cage' around it or something if you guys think that's necessary.

There is also the problem of the rest of wood. Probably treated but I can't be sure if it is or what it was treated with. It has been there for donkeys years though, so I guess that means a lot of the chemical has worn off?

I don't know one way or another, but I can tell you that in my experience all aviaries I've ever seen have been made from treated wood. We had one when I was a child and it was made from treated wood. Any wildlife zoos etc have aviaries made from treated wood. I am in New Zealand.

You could paint it with a non-toxic eco paint and call it good I think.

I would like to go with the idea,,, that it is safe,,, My chicken run is treated wood fence on complete length of 70 feet. My chickens do not eat my fence. Has been like this for a very long time.
One thing about your pet birds,, to consider, and research some more. My DD has a Love bird, a Quaker Parrot, and a Conjure. She will not use Teflon Pans in her kitchen. The Teflon can potentially release fumes that would be bad for her birds. She will use her Teflon pots outdoors when on grill, or such.
So that being said,,, if the treated wood does not emit fumes of the treated chemical.. then it should be safe.
If your concerns are parrots eating the wood?? then paint it, and provide natural branches inside as roosts. They would more likely nibble on what they are sitting on ... than frame of aviary.

Don't know your laws and regulations in New Zealand, but here in the US our treated wood has been basically safe for raised garden beds and such for a number of decades. Your local lumber supplier should be able to tell you if your treated wood is safe for animals.

We're doing aviaries for our small birds, and I've found mixed information on if treated wood is safe or not.
The birds housed will be lovebirds (separated from the other birds), budgies, finches, canaries, diamond doves, and perhaps cockatiels or some other aussie grass parakeets.
I can kind or understand why people say no to it but also not. I know birds are sensitive to chemicals but how would they actually ingest them? I know parrots chew, but with these little parrots I doubt they could chew very much if at all off the wood, rather just beaking it. And parrots when they chew, they don't actually eat the wood, just drop it, so would they really be ingesting anything, if they even managed to chew pieces off?
We found some perfect wood but it is tantalized. Would rather not, but can probably stop them chewing it by making a 'cage' around it or something if you guys think that's necessary.

There is also the problem of the rest of wood. Probably treated but I can't be sure if it is or what it was treated with. It has been there for donkeys years though, so I guess that means a lot of the chemical has worn off?
I built my aviary out of treated lumber with no issues with the wood.
From your post, it sounds like you will have birds separated? That would be bigger concern as I’ve had budgies injure and kill other types of birds.

Copper chromated arsenic used to be used to treat wood. It worked exceptionally well too but, you know, it has chromium and arsenic in it. Now wood is borate treated. Borate, boric acid and borax has very low toxicity. They could eat the wood and be fine. Unfortunately, the new stuff doesn't prevent rot very well.

Borate treated wood can be either natural color or have a greeish tint. Borate is colorless, but the old copper chromated arsenic had a green tint (from the copper) and people got used to treated wood being green. Now they sometimes add a green dye so the customr knows they are getting treated wood.

I built my aviary out of treated lumber with no issues with the wood.
From your post, it sounds like you will have birds separated? That would be bigger concern as I’ve had budgies injure and kill other types of birds.
Thanks for your experience, glad to hear that you haven't had any issues with the treated wood. About the types of birds, don't worry, I will have them separated. Sorry to hear that about the budgies.

Back
Top Bottom