watering geese

No water fowl over 30 days have food and water with them over night here. Keeps the messes to a minimum and they are just fine as well. Under 30 days they get these (pictured below) and even the smallest of ducklings jump in and out with no problems. Pelleted stall bedding is a god send for brooding waterfowl as it sucks up the water keeping the mess to a minimum.

we use these pans in various sizes for food (larger) and water (1 quart size) in the brooder stalls

we use a cement mixing tub (never used for cement of course)- it holds 30 gallons, but we just fill it half way, twice a day. They can get in to bathe, but the sides are high enough to contain a bit of the water whent hey splash around. Works well for drinking and bathing/mating, plus this type of tub won't get brittle and crack, is easy to flip over and rinse out too!

I am not sure what a "cement Mixing pan" looks like, I will have to ask at the hardware store if they have one. I was reading ( somewhere) that a good way to make an inside waterer for geese was to take a 5 gallon pail, and mark on it the height of thier back. Then take a 4" hole saw and cut three holes around the bucket. Fill it with water ( below the holes). The geese then have to put their heads in through the hole and when they splash about, most of it still stays in the bucket. Has anyone tried any thing like that?

I would have to put a bucket heater of some kind in the water, to keep it from freezing about 7 months of the year, here in Canada.

You can see half of my "cement mixing tub" on the left side of the photo---I'd say it's about 2 feet by 3 feet, maybe 8 inches deep. The plastic is not as thick/heavy as the rubber livestock tubs, but not brittle like smaller utility pans I have bought at the hardware store. It's amazing!
As far as making holes for their head in a large bucket- I like the idea, but having a bucket heater, I'd be careful- geese love to chew electric stuff and I've read about some sad tragedies here on the forum. We're in pretty frigid temps (not 7 months of the year though!!) here and we just make sure they get a good amount of water twice a day, which they tend to use up and keep open with bathing in it before it could freeze.

Back
Top Bottom