Welsh Harlequin eggs shipped to hatch

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
I have some WH eggs for hatching being shipped out tomorrow. I’ve incubated quite a bit but only from my own flocks eggs so as far as incubating I’ve got that down.

This is my first time getting eggs shipped to me, help me with the shipped part!! So far I’ve read that....

1. I should let them rest once I get them. Pointy side down for 12-24 hours?

2. I shouldn’t rotate them for the first 7 days?

3. Incubate them vertical?

What else do shipped hatching eggs require?

I’m also gonna do a hatch a long for those interested! I’ve never done one but have loved following others. So stay tuned!

I'm here! I've hatched Silkie eggs twice so I don't know the difference a whole lot in duck eggs but I can answer some of your questions. You should let them rest for 12-24 hours. Incubate them pointed end down and let them rest that way too. Then you can hatch them like any other egg! Now this is what I did for chicken eggs so I don't know if it's different with duck eggs. I'm so excited!

I'm here! I've hatched Silkie eggs twice so I don't know the difference a whole lot in duck eggs but I can answer some of your questions. You should let them rest for 12-24 hours. Incubate them pointed end down and let them rest that way too. Then you can hatch them like any other egg! Now this is what I did for chicken eggs so I don't know if it's different with duck eggs. I'm so excited!
Glad you made it!

I’m sure it’s similar to duck. But what did you do to incubate them pointed down? I’ve read people cutting egg cartons for them to sit in? Not sure they’ll fit in my incubator. Need to check tomorrow.

I’m so excited too! Hatching is my favorite thing

Last edited:
Well, you don't hatch them pointed end down, you incubate them that way and then on lockdown you set them in the bottom of the incubator. You just set them pointed end down in the egg carton.
Yes sorry that’s what I meant. My incubator is really small so I need to see if cut egg cartons will even fit

96F19DE5-09FC-4AAC-8212-A5EB990979E2.jpeg

Ok finally got around to trying this vertical thing. Looks like it’s gonna work, I wasn’t sure if they’d fit height wise. I tried it with a khaki egg, I’m assuming they’re the same size as WH eggs?

So a couple more questions.....

If the eggs arrive with good lookin air cells is it still necessary to do them vertical? I’m just asking cause by doing them vertical with the egg cartons I’m losing a lot of space and don’t think I’ll be able to incubate all 8 eggs that are coming.

Should I rotate the eggs with them being vertical? Or just leave them totally alone?

You don't have to do the eggs vertical. That's just the way my incubator is set up, I didn't know how yours was until I saw the picture. That one should be able to rotate the eggs on its own horizontally. Don't worry about making individual egg holders. You'll end up having to manually rotate the eggs day and night!

Eggs arrived, rested 48 hours and are now set!

They arrived what seemed to be packaged well, including fragile stickers all over and of course the box had a huge gash in it 🙄 luckily the shipper packaged these babies like nobody’s business! So none broke or cracked.

2 seem to be saddled, 1 I couldn’t really see the air cell and 5 were just super jiggly. What are the chances they will still hatch??

211BDA46-A95F-47F3-A1A7-553832F37A12.jpeg

With some finagling I got all 8 to fit vertically.

Back
Top Bottom