Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters
My Phoenix rescue rooster attacked me once. He ran at me and I (remembering the advice I had read out of @BantyChooks wonderful article) stayed still and told him no. He flew up then so I gently booted him back. After that he left me alone but decided to try one more time that same afternoon. He charged and I again held my ground and told him no sternly. After that he decided I'm not worth fighting and hasn't bothered me since. That was almost a month ago, so I'm still wary of him.
He has tried to attack my younger (teenage) sister multiple times, but she had run from him the first time he did it. So now he knows she's scared of him. When she's out in the yard, he has to stay in a pen.
He also tried to attack a visiting adult, but I told him off and he left her alone, but he wouldn't let her move anywhere so I sprayed him with the hose and he took off running.
He's a wonderful rooster with the hens though...and he respects me, so I'm keeping him unless his attitude changes for the worse.

For those who were attacked and injured by their own rooster, please respond.

My rooster attacked me in the face, just missed my eye. I'm not keeping him, but would appreciate input from others.

View attachment 3757727
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/post-27531561
Male chickens need to be taught to respect while they are cockerels. Males never make it to the rooster age if they don't fear humans. I find that it is is an escalation of testing of what they can get away with. Bad behavior must be addressed immediately during any signs of aggression. If you turn the bling eye to bad behavior, each encounter in the future will become more and more aggressive. Until they are shown they only weight 4-5 lbs and humans are much much larger. Once they see you flinch, they know who to go after.
https://www.amazon.com/HHNIULI-Hold...ix=noose+stick+animal+catcher,aps,376&sr=8-15

Had a RIR who would come at me when I got home from work, it was just game on. I'd bob my work shoe at him and he would hit, never bothered anyone else, just our little game. Had a Buff Cochin that I had to introduce to #6 bird shot , a mean SOB.

Male chickens need to be taught to respect while they are cockerels. Males never make it to the rooster age if they don't fear humans. I find that it is is an escalation of testing of what they can get away with. Bad behavior must be addressed immediately during any signs of aggression. If you turn the bling eye to bad behavior, each encounter in the future will become more and more aggressive. Until they are shown they only weight 4-5 lbs and humans are much much larger. Once they see you flinch, they know who to go after.
https://www.amazon.com/HHNIULI-Holder-Catcher-Stainless-Control/dp/B09MVVMPNG/ref=sr_1_15?crid=CY74QAXP3X48&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.t3jrtXxNefwB6IalhpgfiaRhURq-RCTwoiAoXH8kExSq9noCA_MjgAByFk18k51-r3boWbGmWzcR68VeBBLRlSfyis7GEEzrWYOnUUUEFSsWbmdw64RZHBOipGX7vDBWi3VM6wSbMpSl-0osMZ8qE3uHNUJU_QdKUSUavmRWvi2OyX6K0SyCd89Scgo5qIwMlozGZe3ssDr1M3UvAPCppI729GaSLzCxFNxjwklFzngu_UPKpC-HAPSW6tFnL3QiWbasnkWcbi7BpbDOBYO00DCWUvQmzLUxEOflqFV94FM.XBa1MIKxSFLgOQjBcFM0_59Q0Wfg_IvW6DNpQ2Wmwjk&dib_tag=se&keywords=noose+stick+animal+catcher&qid=1708971622&sprefix=noose+stick+animal+catcher,aps,376&sr=8-15
Before he succeeded Joel (who died) as THE rooster Samuel was deferential, never looked at me crosswise. He was actually aloof even as a chick, and I didn't try to make him into a pet, so we never had any issues. Until this week.

It's as if a switch got turned on.

Similar situation. I had checked behind me because he's been testing me from behind, grabbing my skirt. As soon as I bent over he launched at my face, slammed into my head. I stood up, he was standing in front of me, his demeanor showing he was ready to do it again. I threw water on him, in his face, and he ran.

But I can't, won't trust him to not do another frontal
No, you can't. He has to learn that his only choice in life or death is to be a good boy and It may take some seasoning and steam pressure if he continues to make the wrong decisions.

Yep, I have sent 3 roosters to freezer camp. The last one, a Barred Rock, I had very high hopes for him. He was perfect until around the age of 8 months old - by then, he wouldn't let me near the girls. I still wasn't too afraid of him because I would hold a garden hoe at him to keep him at bay. One day, the last day, he jumped up and spurred one of pinky knuckles. I thought he broke my hand and it hurt severely for several hours (I am not a big baby, either!) He went bye-bye after that. My knuckle had a huge knot for months - so I was fine with my resolve to freezer camp him.

We have a tiny little cream leg bar cockerel that I think has Napoleon syndrome. He just kind of runs at people and packs them but has not all out attacked them like that. He is a beautiful rooster and is usually very sweet. We do plan on breeding him. He is from the green fire farms line so we know he's a true cream leg bar. When he gets aggressive I chase him into our henitentiary and lock him in there until I am ready to leave the run. He seems to respond to that and the next few days will be better. I have noticed as he ages he is getting less aggressive

Back
Top Bottom