What did you do in the garden today?

I am impressed with the carrots.  I just built a raised bed and am giving them a try.

Filled it with rotten hay.

Thanks, I'm impressed they grew too because this is my first year here and first time attempting carrots. All I did was keep the weeds away.

My carrots did well this year.  They received abundant neglect.  
LOL, mine too. Had a hard time getting them out because they were locked in the ground in the silt. Still need massive amounts of organic matter in my soil to loosen things up.

Quote: Sure wish I had someone to teach me car repair!!!!! I am hopeful someday it will happen as I'm holding on to my 2 old cars . . . . I envy those with the know how!!

I haven't yet planted rose bushes in the middle of my lawn. Just saying... I do the digging where the digging is easy. If it happens to be in the middle of my lawn, so be it! Here in New England, beggars can't be choosers when it comes time to make a hole. Our soil, if it can be called that is very bony... that's before any bones even get added to it! Thankfully, the guy who lives across from me... the one who sits out on his front porch, (most likely for the amusement of seeing what I'm doing in my yard) is even more red neck than I am. Thankfully, he's pretty harmless.
ROFL. Just read Ruth Strout article and wow that style will fit my rocky soil. We grow rocks. All sizes. Needed a work around. No tilling possible. Had to adjust planting layout in the veg plots to get over/around rocks. Learning to be flexible.

Quote: I have considered figs...but as they need to be kept potted and be able to travel in and out of a garage. . . . No garage = no figs.

Took out all the hot peppers today. Added to my three ristras with the College and Garden Salsa peppers.
Tomorrow will be the final sweet pepper harvest....lots will go in the freezer and a portion off to DH's work buddies.

Got a 3.5 gallon trugful of anchos. The brown ones I'll dry, the green ones I'll roast and stuff, and the red ones will see a salad.

Also got a basket of red jalapenos. They'll get smoked and dried...chipotle!

All the squash is picked. kids told to bring in house and stack on stairs to second floor to store. Definitely too much nitrogen, and not enough watering this year. Will leave all the dead squash plants, and add the dried leaves to start the Strout system.

I don't use it in the winter ( yet ) but I'm in there as late as mid November and as early as February (planting season outdoors here is late May-early September) it sure adds to my season, its 16x40 (I picked up 2, 20x40 frames I've yet to put up this year, so excited). I do grow some flowers in there mainly to attract pollinators, I do a few planters with evening sented stock, hanging baskets with mixed annuals, and I've had marigold, nasturtium, sun flowers a few times, and the petunias my 3 year old insists on having
smile.png

Since we can garden almost year round I have no need for a greenhouse for vegetables. Except to get an early start.

The cool weather crops grow in the fall and the growing season for warm weather crops is almost 200 days. We can plant onions in December down here.

I grow a lot of flowers...mostly perennial. I just thought that since you sell some veggies at the local farmers market you may try plants. I have hundreds of plants started from cuttings and seed and have done pretty well selling them. Right now I am trying native wildflowers. I just acquired 54 rose cuttings and tomorrow I am going to get some fig tree cuttings...maybe.

Have you thought about cold frames inside the greenhouse..??? I have been thinking that it may help to keep the heating bill down. You could put some manure in the bottom for heat.

I

Think the house was part of an estate garden theirs sidewalk that leads to neighbors yard where tennis court use to be and a tea house. I'am thinking the four boys who lived here during the 60-70's buried their treasures.

I have. That's a great idea. I use frost covers in there early on. My do I envy your growing season. Currently I do not heat it.

The long growing season has its disadvantages. It gets so blessed hot in the summer you can barely breathe.

This time of year my greens still wilt in the afternoon. It gets in the eighties during the day and fifties at night.

Heating a greenhouse can be very expensive. I don't blame you for not heating it.

Took some fig tree cuttings today.

Yes I can see the heat being a downfall, all climates have there pros and cons.
One day Id like to try some sort of passive heating system, something a bit more sofistacated than barrels filled with water, though it does work alright. Most people use wood stoves here so that is also worth looking into down the road.

Back
Top Bottom