What did you do in the garden today?

Well, my computer is a officially an unfixable corpse, so I'm banking on getting a new one for christmas. The good news is they were able to get the data off of my computer, including my garden notes and layouts from the last several years.

Reviewing, our biggest problem this year was absolutely animals that don't belong eating all my things. Our second biggest problem was fungal diseases.

The animal problem should be mildly fixed soon because we're sending an exterminator company in to deal with the rats. The fungi are a bigger problem. I'm considering planting a hybrid or otherwise early blight-resistant tomato variety this year and cutting back on the tomatoes hardcore in the first place. Fewer, hardy, resistant tomatoes should result in a better crop. Then I will try to expand some things that could have gone well but didn't because of the animals this year, like the honeynut butternuts. And I need a new pick for a storage squash as the crown pumpkins did terrible. (I had such high hopes.)

That sounds like a really nice curried squash soup. I'm used to making butternut squash soup as just sauteed onions and garlic in butter, chicken stock, heavy cream and squash all cooked until bubbly and thick, pureed, and then a pinch of black pepper and nutmeg on top. But since we've got the leeks, and we're hosting so many people, it'd be best to only have one soup for us. Gotta pick and choose what dishes to do.

Last year I did curried squash stuffed mushrooms, the year before I did four mushroom stuffed squash... I wanna do something a little different this year and I'm not sure what.

It's definitely nice to have an alternative day to do a gift exchange on. It can also be nice to have the holidays open for work/travel without it getting in the way of your celebration and faith. Like, my partner is now managing at a well-paying grocery store and they need him on holidays. It's really easy to take the 21st off, and even the days around it. It's much harder to take time off on and around the 25th. Definitely a nice difference.

You're so right about getting time off, I always take the same days off with no issues. Alternative views do have their advantages!

I don't blame you for changing things up, I was talking to my husband about our meal and he wants to do something new. Haven't decided what yet though.

Sorry to hear your computer is toast! Here's hoping you get a new one soon!

Today I learned it’s possible to root petunias. This is exciting!
EBE62EED-C603-4220-A7D2-B095A3FBA13F.jpeg
551CC93A-77DD-45D1-8355-BA6B178BFF6B.jpeg
F0693301-8FD9-44C5-B588-F8A296CD791A.jpeg
369FD338-7F3A-4CD0-B18E-B17B994284C1.jpeg

Dan do you want some Meiwa Kumquat seeds?
View attachment 1611310
I would but I’m a little booked at the moment :lol: so much to do so little time :p I appreciate the offer though.
But hey, if you want some luffa seeds I got plenty to spare! :gig That’s a small cookie sheet and they’re 3-4 layers deep :eek:
CCB2568D-92AF-4DA1-A711-9709048D5E16.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom