What did you do in the garden today?

@fuzzi

I finally made time to complete the black walnut tincture. It turned out great. I will be doing a video on how to process black walnuts as well as make black walnut tincture, in the next 2 days if you are interested.

Black Walnuts on the ground
BlackWalnut1.png

Removing the green hull from the blackwalnut
BlackWalnut2.png

Covering the black walnut hull with 40 proof vodka
BlackWalnut3.png

A side by side comparison of the new jar and previously made bottle of black walnut tincture.
BlackWalnut4.png

Well, the flipping badger is back. TWO giant deep holes this time, each over 4 feet deep. Man, when that thing gets a craving for ground squirrel, don't get in its way!
Kind of like me and chocolate. HA!

Squishy luffa have gotten too cold and are rotting inside.

Raked an insane amount of feathers and put the upper winter windows in the coop, and the winter window on their door. I'm out of their filler for the other door, so I'll pick that up later this week.

Moved some herbs in the garden and watered them in. Still a few days from a freeze. LATE for us. Not even a frost here yet.
81 tomorrow. Then the rest of the week, cross fingers, rain and COLD.

Totally NOT an expert, as this is my first time growing them as well.

What I have read is frost will ruin them, so you might want to pick them tonight. I picked mine a couple weeks ago when I thought we *might* get frost. I could have left them for another week or two, but I've also read that they don't do much at lower temps, and we were only in the 50s-60s during the day.

I sliced down the length of the biggest one (in diameter) and peeled off the green skin. That's the one that actually grew anything resembling a sponge. I picked the other 3, but they weren't worth anything as a sponge. The chickens pecked the seeds, but that was it. Oh well, they can compost in the run.
Thanks for the info!

Well, the flipping badger is back. TWO giant deep holes this time, each over 4 feet deep. Man, when that thing gets a craving for ground squirrel, don't get in its way!
Kind of like me and chocolate. HA!

Squishy luffa have gotten too cold and are rotting inside.

Raked an insane amount of feathers and put the upper winter windows in the coop, and the winter window on their door. I'm out of their filler for the other door, so I'll pick that up later this week.

Moved some herbs in the garden and watered them in. Still a few days from a freeze. LATE for us. Not even a frost here yet.
81 tomorrow. Then the rest of the week, cross fingers, rain and COLD.
Wellll fudge! :(

@fuzzi

I finally made time to complete the black walnut tincture. It turned out great. I will be doing a video on how to process black walnuts as well as make black walnut tincture, in the next 2 days if you are interested.

View attachment 3665882

View attachment 3665883

View attachment 3665884

A side by side comparison of the new jar and previously made bottle of black walnut tincture.
View attachment 3665885
Yes! I am very interested.

This branch has been sitting here out in the sun for 3 months without any water and still haven't died.

My neighbor is getting tired of pruning his plant and I got poked a few times cutting it back through the fence. My other neighbor in the back built a long 6 feet high metal trellis for his plants and got tired of eating them.

I'll eat it, but I don't crave it like I do mango.
View attachment 3665855View attachment 3665859
Super pretty! We get up to 25 degrees hotter than your summer average and we don’t have nearly the humidity.

I didn't see a follow up to this regarding how to harvest. Since I have recently have had the fruit landing in my backyard identified as black walnuts, I am going to try to harvest them.

View attachment 3664388
This appears to be a helpful site:

https://www.instructables.com/Black-Walnut-Harvesting-Processing/
Very nice website.... I inherited a "Grandpa's Goody Getter" that is referenced in that website. It caught my eye because I thought my step-dad had built it himself from plans off the internet. He did stuff like that from time to time. Anyways, I brought home around 10 black walnuts from his big crate full of nuts. Not expecting much since they've been sitting in that crate for 3 yrs but we'll see what we get.

@fuzzi

View attachment 3665882

View attachment 3665883

View attachment 3665884

View attachment 3665885
I must have missed something... What is the tincture for?

Ok luffa experts. I saw some chatter about them, so I figured I'd drop in & ask your opinion on mine :frow This is my 1st time growing them. I was feeling them up today & they are a bit soft & squishy. Is that bad? We got down to 37 a couple weeks ago & will get down to that tonight. The vines & leaves are all still green & healthy looking though. The goal is to make sponges out of them, not eat them. Thanks!
When it gets softer, the sponge is sponging. So you can either wait for it to dry or you can just harvest it already and dry it inside, depending on your weather

Back
Top Bottom