What did you do in the garden today?

I made a zucchini cake but used shredded yellow squash instead. I thought it turned out good. The 6, 9 & 11 year old grandkids all ate it. Of course I didn’t tell them what it was other than cake. 🤣🤣
We have another week of good temps, highs in the 70’s to 80’s and lows in the 50’s & 60’s but November 1st the bottom drops out and we will have highs in the 40’s and lows in the 20’s. I’ll need to make sure I get to the 2 gardens that still have some produce and pick everything that is pickable!

Afternoon all. Finally got around to mixing up the coco. Decided to just pump a heap of water into the two blocks, wait a heap and come back and it was surprisingly easier to mix up. Made me happy. Got a bit left over that I'll probably make another pot or two out of. You can see one of the blue barrels in the background that is whole. I kinda want to use a square pot because cutting a square is so much easier with a cordless circular saw. I do have a cordless jigsaw but I think it needs new blades.

I got around to picking out the blocks for the 200L kratky. Decided on 5 blocks of Kankong, 2 blocks of Egyptian Spinach, one block of Thai Basil from bunnings, some badly massacred chives oh and either one block of tree lettuce or brussel sprouts. You can kinda see it in front of the thai basil there.

Attachments

• Tomato kratky 4.jpg
    Tomato kratky 4.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 4
  • Tomato kratky 3.jpg
    Tomato kratky 3.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Squash and Chilli Kratky.jpg
    Squash and Chilli Kratky.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Plantedkinda.jpg
    Plantedkinda.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 2
  • planning out kratky chives gone to pieces.jpg
    planning out kratky chives gone to pieces.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 5
Can anyone explain this kratky to me? I keep seeing the word and I am just trying to figure it out. Is it a setup or a plant or something else? I love learning new stuff and knowledge. Please explain.

Here is a quick YouTube video that might help get you started in learning about the method. There are many, many YouTube videos on the subject that go into more detail. I have never tried hydroponics but might try it this winter.

Can anyone explain this kratky to me? I keep seeing the word and I am just trying to figure it out. Is it a setup or a plant or something else? I love learning new stuff and knowledge. Please explain.
I think earth boxes are better than the Kratky hydroponic method for growing larger plants, since it is fertilized once at the beginning. However, the Kratky method is good for lettuce, since the nutrients and water are filled only once. One lettuce uses about a gallon of nutrient solution, so 3 can be grown in a 5 gallon bucket, just set it and forget it.

Larger plants like tomato need a float valve and reservoir to keep a constant nutrient level, because the solution level can go down, but can't increase. Increasing the level kills the plant. Furthermore, the plants need a minimum 3-inch air space or larger from the bottom of the net cup before the reservoir is opened to keep that level the same with the float valve.

Last edited:
Afternoon all. Finally got around to mixing up the coco. Decided to just pump a heap of water into the two blocks, wait a heap and come back and it was surprisingly easier to mix up. Made me happy. Got a bit left over that I'll probably make another pot or two out of. You can see one of the blue barrels in the background that is whole. I kinda want to use a square pot because cutting a square is so much easier with a cordless circular saw. I do have a cordless jigsaw but I think it needs new blades.

I got around to picking out the blocks for the 200L kratky. Decided on 5 blocks of Kankong, 2 blocks of Egyptian Spinach, one block of Thai Basil from bunnings, some badly massacred chives oh and either one block of tree lettuce or brussel sprouts. You can kinda see it in front of the thai basil there.
Looks good

I had tomatoes and peppers do long quite well with the Kratky method. If you search YouTube for Hoocho Kratky, he has a really good video about it. All his videos are good! Also, for anyone who is into hydroponics and you’re growing indoor, a fan is super helpful.

That's my biggest fear is that they will drink it all up like they did last time. But. I made a grave error with trimming it obsessively. I'm going to try to leave these alone a bit to prevent the root mass getting out of control. I'm predicting the cherry varieties to have more success!
My lettuce isn’t set it and forget it. I have to refill my buckets from time to time.

My lettuce isn’t set it and forget it. I have to refill my buckets from time to time.
All the lettuce type clusters that I had seeded in cells the first time around have actually died out in the beds they were placed in. Had 33c today and that laid waste to them. I'm thinking about replacing them with more tomatoes since it seems to get quite a lot of sun. I still have some sun gold F1s and amish paste varieties.

Back
Top Bottom