What did you do in the garden today?

Don't you want to plant the bigger potatoes rather than the small ones?

So you get bigger potatoes over time.

Maybe not mammoth ones but nicely big ones.
Hmmm... I'd never heard that. I thought it was that you just need an "eye" and enough potato flesh around it to help it get started growing. Last spring, I planted my own Magic Molly and Elba from the 2022 season. I didn't notice that the potatoes were bigger, or smaller, really.

The Elbas, for me, are the ones that grow BIG. What I call "restaurant baking potato sized" big. The Magic Molly are a fingerling variety, so they never get really big.

I plant the bigger cloves of garlic, and eat the small ones. That has led to me getting bigger heads/cloves over time.

Good idea!

One of the reasons we always have a diagram of our garden and what's planted where. Of course, that's not always fool-proof....

(We have a diagram for every year since we were married, as well as a chart of our frozen and canned goods & how much was used each year to help plan for the next year.)

I have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that using potatoes from the previous year only works well for 1 or 2 years before quality of harvest deteriorates???
This year we couldn't get any Kennebec seed potatoes and used leftovers from last year. I'm not sure how long we could continue doing this without issue.
Maybe there's something that certified seed potato growers do/know that we don't???
Do it until there is a problem. Certified seed potatoes are inspected for disease and other problems. You may not have these in your area.

I have never received a rebate when turning them in, ever.
If someone, like the car lot, turns it in for us then we get it.
2 days ago we got an email saying they wouldn't approve our $300 rebate on the $1600 tires we bought for our truck.
I swear people see us coming. 😔
I called menards when 3 of our rebates never made it to us.
They had them on record but they had never been cashed.
They sent them back out.

I found out a long time ago that rebates can have very sneaky bits in the instructions that can disqualify your rebate being given. It's total crap, but legal.
Things like circle the total on your receipt with a red pen, or underline your zip code, or fill the form in in blue ink.
If you don't do it as stated, they can deny your rebate.

Back
Top Bottom