What did you do in the garden today?

I have an entire Hoosier cabinet dedicated to nothing but honey. Local, far-flung reaches, and international, plain and flavoured. Pollens in honey does NOTHING for my allergies....I am queen of allergies. LOL.
4 shots a week and allergic to antihists too. HA!
1710987786945.png

Your only solution! lol

Seriously though, that must really suck! I was shocking with allergies as a kid, hospitalised with asthma etc. No fun.

My daughter in law gave me several cuttings from her black currant bush, and some of them were big, multi-branched sections. I got out my pruners and made several small cuttings from the big ones. I now have about 16 cuttings in an old battery box full of dirt.

I will have a black currant grove/forest in the future if they all form roots and grow. LOL

View attachment 3777481

This is a currant cutting that I planted early last spring. It's already leafing out now, and I'm hoping to see one or two clusters of blossoms on it this season.

View attachment 3777490

These are the little plants I set out in the garden yesterday...

View attachment 3777493View attachment 3777494View attachment 3777495View attachment 3777496View attachment 3777497

This flower is just outside the run. The chickens have had plenty of chances to eat it, but it must not on their preferred foods list.

I don't know what kind of flower it is. Does anybody know???

View attachment 3777498

And this is my garden compost factory....

View attachment 3777489
Looks like a Hyacinth to me.

View attachment 3777518
Your only solution! lol

Seriously though, that must really suck! I was shocking with allergies as a kid, hospitalised with asthma etc. No fun.
Nah. I just plow through, complain a lot, and live through it anyway. Been this way my whole life. Besides, the chickens would just burst my bubble.

Rhubarb... I'm giving 'forcing' a try this year. I covered the plants last week with styrofoam covers made for winterizing roses. I placed a rock/paver on top to hold it down in the wind and left it be. I read online to leave them covered for 8 weeks starting just when the plants start to sprout in the Spring. 8 weeks seems a long time to me, so I'll check on them weekly and might vent the bottom as the weather warms up - I don't want to cook the plants.

Anybody have experience forcing rhubarb? Share your experience and advise with me please.
I forced rhubarb. It didn't survive. 😭 I just wanted to wish you luck! 😁

Peas are sprouted and just beginning to grow out in the garden. Sowed carrots and a number of greens out there already too, although they are not yet sprouted.
A bunch of seeds are started in the garage under the grow lights. Tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, oregano and some others are all doing well. I sowed cabbage starts and it appears that only 2 of 10 seeds are actually sprouted and growing. The others should have sprouted by now. I might have to replant some more cabbage.
Just sowed pickling cucumbers the other day and waiting for them to sprout.

DS wants corn this year - I need to till that side of the garden over the next month here. Going to be planting a yellow sweet variety as well as strawberry red corn and a blue corn - I managed to pop glass gem corn in the past and I'm going to try popping the red and blue corns this year - I would plant an actual popcorn but DS liked these varieties.

DD wants to sow more seeds today. I will probably let her sow some cabbage replacements and some lettuce.

Not planning anything wacky this year - sticking to the basics for the most part. Planning to grow sugar baby watermelons - that's a bit outside my zone and about as wacky as I'm getting.

welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom