What did you do in the garden today?

For my second attempt at sour dough bread, I baked it in a Japanese clay pot. I think it came out around the same as yesterday's one. Tomorrow, I will bake it in a silicone banneton proofing basket that I just got from amazon, and I will be shooting for the ear razor cut with the new blade I got.

View attachment 3835723
My favorite way to make sourdough, use a ceramic coated cast iron dutch oven that I preheat to 400, then I crank up the heat to 450 with it sealed up for 25m, then take off the lid for another 25m. Using parchment paper to move my dough from the bowl to the dutch oven keeps it from deflating; and from sticking during baking. I always score an "X" on the top of my dough with a serrated blade that's wet before I move it into the dutch oven.

We have our very first squash! I don’t know how many years it has been! From bug infestation to poor soil we’ve failed. I’m supper excited.
I love glads
We got our electric fence up then one of the cats went thru it - out other side and now not working! 😑

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7613.jpeg
    IMG_7613.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7614.jpeg
    IMG_7614.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 0
I managed to get some weed whacking done yesterday. That was about all. My first peek at the garden this morning included picking off more buds from the new strawberry plants. My red and white fingerling potatoes are coming up. No sign of the purple ones yet. The pinto beans are breaking through the soil and there are cracks in the dirt row so it looks like the whole row will be coming up later today or tomorrow. I need to get my errands done today. I want to pick up some tacky straw at tractor supply and mulch is on sale at Lowes. I need dog food and people food too. Of course I have to pass by the green house nearby and see if they have anything I can’t live without. Lol! I’m hoping to get a little mowing done in the backyard before the rain moves in today but it may not happen until tomorrow.

Yes... I posted about this very topic a few pages back. I've bought quite a few seed packets (over 3 dozen+ through 2 different accounts). I didn't post everything on here but after I noticed how many packets had ZERO germination, I started to look closer. Of the dozens of purchases I've made, I'd say seeds from less than 5 different packets have actually germinated... Very disappointing because I've purchased from Baker for years and this is the first time I have had it happen at this scale. I reached out to Baker and posted their response on this thread. I am thinking about asking for a replacement but in some ways their response made me feel like they think I'm scamming them or something. I probably won't buy from them again.
I'm sad to read that people are having trouble with Baker Creek seeds. I've recommended them for several years.

I haven't been paying attention to which company/germination rates on my seeds, but I will now.

A lot of the seed I've planted so far is saved seed.

What do any of you do to keep birds from eating the cherries off your cherry trees? I have my first ever real potential crop of sour cherries. The trees are a little too tall for us to put nets over without damaging the trees, I think.

Does the reflective tape stuff work?
Can you get a helper, one on each side of the tree, but at edge of drip line. Using poles, attach deer netting to the poles, then up and over the tree to the other side. 8ft deer netting should well cover top, then add additional to uncovered sides if needed.

My FIL grows cherries, but now (in his late 70s with health issues) has allowed the birds to take over. But prior to that did spend time to net his trees. I’m not sure if he used silver tape though.

Yes... I posted about this very topic a few pages back. I've bought quite a few seed packets (over 3 dozen+ through 2 different accounts). I didn't post everything on here but after I noticed how many packets had ZERO germination, I started to look closer. Of the dozens of purchases I've made, I'd say seeds from less than 5 different packets have actually germinated... Very disappointing because I've purchased from Baker for years and this is the first time I have had it happen at this scale. I reached out to Baker and posted their response on this thread. I am thinking about asking for a replacement but in some ways their response made me feel like they think I'm scamming them or something. I probably won't buy from them again.
I havent been able to keep up with this thread. Lol! That really sucks that they dont seem to be listening. Bad customer service in my opinion.
I'm sad to read that people are having trouble with Baker Creek seeds. I've recommended them for several years.

I haven't been paying attention to which company/germination rates on my seeds, but I will now.

A lot of the seed I've planted so far is saved seed.
Thats what i plan on doing, but dont seem to manage it. I just need to pay better attention and be patient I guess. Can you share how you save your seeds?

Back
Top Bottom