What did you do in the garden today?

Can you share how you save your seeds?
It totally depends on what plant you're saving seed from. There are several good books about it, with details about each kind of seed.
I'm thinking about it. There's so much junk added to store-bought bread that I think it's about time to try a different route.
I got a bread maker and haven't bought store bread in years. Now I've getting even better results using a stand mixer and baking it in the oven. Gluten Free is a whole 'nother animal when you are trying to make bread.
That's it. I'm done with Baker Creek.

I don't think it's just Baker Creek...
I'm starting to wonder ... I'm hearing a lot of people say lots of different seeds are not germinating.

This is very worrisome. If you're a seed saver, do even more this year.

Sure. Here you go.

I ordered my torch from Amazon. Instead of attaching a 1 pound propane bottle I used a propane hose that I use with my Tough Buddy propane heater, connecting it to 7.5 gallon propane tank from my RV.

View attachment 3836207View attachment 3836208
That's cool. I was googling & saw this...a weed burner on steroids...now That's what I call a serious weed burner! I'd like this for my entire "lawn" of nudsedge. Lol
Screenshot_20240518_193911_Chrome.jpg

https://flameengineering.com/collections/agriculturalflamers

And my problem is finding the NON-pleated ones. UGH.
They do not do well in the microwave, and the plastic they're starting to use shreds after it gets cold.
I'm sticking to my Tupperware, and old glass.
And humidity...OMG....we are saturated, even in drought. It's only 75'F right now, but we are sticky wet, humid. The kind where your sock slip and your bra doesn't sit right. Swampy, am I right @TJAnonymous ?
Oh yes... It was stupid hot and humid today. DH was outside hanging laundry on the line. I was like "you know that's going to take FOREVER to dry in this humidity?!?!". Thirty minutes later he came back in the house and I thought he'd doused himself with the house. Um.. Nope. He was just sweating that badly. We pretty much stayed inside after that until dusk when it was cooler.

We've had over 8" of rain in the past 2 weeks. Mosquitoes are CRAZY at the moment.

JUST realized the corn I planted is from Baker Creek. I have a whole package planted and only TWO have germinated. Now come on, we all can't be having the same problem, different states, different zones, different weather and planting times. That's it. I'm done with Baker Creek.
I have corn seed from Baker Creek that was ordered in late 2022 or early 2023. I planted it last season and this spring. All of that has come up. Even the seeds I planted this year from the old packets.

Just my personal speculation, but most of the seeds from them that I received from last fall to now are the ones with the germination problems. I've used BC for at least 5 years now and never had this problem until this past year.

Back
Top Bottom