What kind of predators go after pigs??

baldie

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Douglas, MA
Hi!! We got pigs last weekend and I need to know what kind of predators go after pigs. We have been keeping them in one of our chicken pens, but last night "something" knocked a plate I forgot off the roof. So now I need to know what would go after them. WOuld a racoon?? I know that was what was on the roof last night. Would a fox go after them?? We have lots of them here. I see them every night. Thanks in advance. Chrissie

What about a fox or racoon?? They are here all the time. We hear coyotes across the field every night, but have yet to see any.
hmm.png

It depends on how big the pigs are.
Lots of things can kill young piglets, but not too many things will try a grown hog.
Coons would probably be more interested in eating the pigs feed than attacking the pigs themselves

Thanks. I saw what damage coons can do...a month or so ago they beheaded all 5 of my ducks and left one alive hanging by a string. It was worse than any horror movie I have EVER seen. I would not want to see this done to my piglets.

I have heard a coyote will go after a small pigglet, but we have large black pigs and you can tell when the coyotes are a little too close for comfort because the female pig makes a snarling noise ready to attack any animal near.

DOGS!
I had 2 piglets that hubby got me for my birthday. THey didn't last 3 days. One of my dogs and my neighbor's dog had packed up together and killed the 2 piglets. My brother in law, 14 years old, was the one to find them. Poor guy was freaked out and DEPRESSED! He called his mom up and asked to be taken home
sad.png

Was not the first time these 2 dogs have teamed up to kill a livestock (DIDN"T EAT THEM THOUGH!) so we had no choice but get rid of them. Sorry to have to say, both were pitt bulls (I know, some people here have pitt bulls that have no problems with their livestocks but these two were a MAJOR problem!). THey have killed our pigs, 2 of the neighbor's goats, several chickens and there was NO CHAIN or fence to keep them contained! They could CLIMB the fences, they were not scared at all of the electric fence the neighbor had and chewed through or broke every chain we have tried on them.

size matters definitely.

but piglets are kept inside in stalls in my barn. locked up tight to avoid any troubles that something big might get them.

dogs yes.

coyotes if they can yes.

older they get, the less predators they have.

hogs can be ferocious definitely to themselves, other critters and humans.

Back
Top Bottom