What tool do you use???

SIMPleChick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Utah
I have been doing a lot of reading on how to "dispatch" a chicken. Many bleed them out with a knife, or chop with an axe, yank with your own hands, and I know there are neck breaking tools. So what do you use??
Knife
Axe/Hatchet
Wall mounted dispatcher
Hand held dispatcher tool
your own hands
etc...

And do you just bleed them out or hack the whole head off???

I have read all the posts here on how to do it but I want to see who does what and which way is more popular/easier? THANKS!!!

lino_kinfe%5Bekm%5D450x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Less than $4 at Home Depot. It has lasted a 70 bird day and a 95 bird day. Sharp, quick, done.

My dad usually just chops the head off with a hatchet,but if you are not use to a hatchet I would go for slitting the throat in a killing cone.For quail I hit the back of there heads on a wooden table which will instantly kill them then I cut there heads off with a pair of poultry shears.

Put chicken into a traffic cone with the cone upside down, grab the head and pull it through the hole, then take a pair of pruning shears and completely cut off the head. With this the struggling is almost none, and it is a clean, quick kill.

yhst-80409695763388_2149_1042138

I use a scalpel to cut the jugular on one side
smile.png
Easy, fairly inexpensive when you get a box of blades, and SUPER sharp.

Last edited:
Hatchet for dispatch pen knife for everything else. just like the ancients! My Grandfather taught me this way and its the most efficient way i have ever found

Quote:
This. We tie them upside down from a line/branch/etc. Honey holds the head in one hand and makes a quick clean sweep with the other. VERY sharp buck knife.

I use scalpel blades too, but mine are on a folding knife from Havalon. I use those things for everything, deer, sheep, chickens, bear, everything. They're fantastic and won't stick you through your pocket.

Quote:
This. We tie them upside down from a line/branch/etc. Honey holds the head in one hand and makes a quick clean sweep with the other. VERY sharp buck knife.

That's what we do. Our peach tree has a branch at the perfect height to hang them from with enough empty space below/around it so they don't break a wing.

Back
Top Bottom