What treats do you give your chickens?

Pics

EverV

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
NJ
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I'm starting this thread to see what treats everyone gives their chickens (as stated in the title). As of now, I don't have a proper calcium container for my girls, so I make it up to them by giving them a daily bowl with baked & crushed egg shells and whatever table scraps/treats I have on hand. If I don't have table scraps, I'll make them something. #spoiled chickens. Today they got: half a mashed banana, some oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, cabbage, scratch, a couple chunks of stale bread, and a tiny bit of cinnamon for respiratory health (this isn't a regular thing). Sometimes I'll even scramble an egg for them and add that too. Aside from this, I'll occasionally give them some mealworms and wilting lettuce/kale. What does everyone else give their chickens?

They get (about ever other day), weeds, A little leftover rice, meal worms, other chicken safe leftovers. Once I was holding one of my chickens and he ate a mosquito that was buzzing around my hand! They love tomatoes too.

Edit: raisins are a favorite
Mine have had big fights over beetles and huge grasshoppers :gig. They also love mosquitos and will chase one around their run.

I add water to their feed and mix to a batter consistency. They LOVE wet feed. I sprinkle seeds or scrambled egg or fruit on top. So they are getting mostly proper feed.

in the summer, I wet it down in a large pan and add ice cubes so it stayed cold and adds water as the cubes melt.

generally all treats are fed after noon, and before 4 pm. So, they’ve eaten the right stuff to begin with them if they get a less nutritious treat, they are still good.

in the summer I’ll also give them melon rind. Blueberry chase is entertaining (throwing one or two so they run for it), same with grapes or tomatoes (cut in half or quarter). They love cabbage as well.

I add water to their feed and mix to a batter consistency. They LOVE wet feed. I sprinkle seeds or scrambled egg or fruit on top. So they are getting mostly proper feed.

in the summer, I wet it down in a large pan and add ice cubes so it stayed cold and adds water as the cubes melt.

generally all treats are fed after noon, and before 4 pm. So, they’ve eaten the right stuff to begin with them if they get a less nutritious treat, they are still good.

in the summer I’ll also give them melon rind. Blueberry chase is entertaining (throwing one or two so they run for it), same with grapes or tomatoes (cut in half or quarter). They love cabbage as well.
Nice! I also add ice cubes to their water in the summer. I got the idea for watermelon 'pies' for chickens from another thread, and will admit I gave a few to my girls over the summer. If I'm going to give them a larger portion of treats, I'll give them that in the afternoon. What they get with the egg shells, despite being such a wide variety, is a very small amount really. About half a cup of treat (including the shells) between four chickens. I'll have to try a blueberry chase!

Hello! I'm starting this thread to see what treats everyone gives their chickens (as stated in the title). As of now, I don't have a proper calcium container for my girls, so I make it up to them by giving them a daily bowl with baked & crushed egg shells and whatever table scraps/treats I have on hand. If I don't have table scraps, I'll make them something. #spoiled chickens. Today they got: half a mashed banana, some oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, cabbage, scratch, a couple chunks of stale bread, and a tiny bit of cinnamon for respiratory health (this isn't a regular thing). Sometimes I'll even scramble an egg for them and add that too. Aside from this, I'll occasionally give them some mealworms and wilting lettuce/kale. What does everyone else give their chickens?
My babies are spoiled. lol. I give them mealworms/corn mix or wild bird seed twice a day just a cup. Since it’s winter I hang a cabbage in their house. I’ll add bread or crackers sometimes. I’ve put peanutbutter on pine cones and hung them up around the run. We put a pumpkin in this past fall. I’ve given them bananas. They love watermelon and cornflakes.

I do not treat often as fat hens don’t lay as well but when I do I have given them as follows: Molt muffins with healthy proteins homemade, cabbage, carrot tops true love of theirs, garden leftovers, grown mixed greens from garden just for them, mixed berries and watermelon favorite treat. I also have provided fresh cut herbs for them grown from the garden. My old hen Hedy used to like to steal jalapeños from the garden oddly enough and only one like that. I also provide dried mealworms as good source of protein. Yum 😋 favorites!

Back
Top Bottom