What's wrong with these eggs?

maree1525

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2015
Australia
So one of my pullets who has recently started laying has laid eggs with white strands through the "white" of the egg. Every egg she lays is like this. The other 10 hens are laying normal eggs.

That’s very interesting. I’ve never noticed that but it may be an indication the egg is very fresh if it is actually “cloudy”. I don’t know why one hen would regularly do that when the others don’t but each hen is an individual. They are not always consistent. A cloudy egg white is caused by dissolved carbon dioxide in the egg. As the egg ages the carbon dioxide escapes through the porous shell. A clear egg white does not mean the egg is not fresh, just that a cloudy egg white is really really fresh. It’s amazing what you can find on Google sometimes.

Looking at that it is not the Chalaza. Chalaza are two twisted white bands in the egg whites that hold the yolk in the center. All the eggs should have those, though some are more prominent than others.

That’s very interesting. I’ve never noticed that but it may be an indication the egg is very fresh if it is actually “cloudy”. I don’t know why one hen would regularly do that when the others don’t but each hen is an individual. They are not always consistent. A cloudy egg white is caused by dissolved carbon dioxide in the egg. As the egg ages the carbon dioxide escapes through the porous shell. A clear egg white does not mean the egg is not fresh, just that a cloudy egg white is really really fresh. It’s amazing what you can find on Google sometimes.

Looking at that it is not the Chalaza. Chalaza are two twisted white bands in the egg whites that hold the yolk in the center. All the eggs should have those, though some are more prominent than others.
Ooh that's quite intersting I might leave a few if her eggs for a while and see if it changes over time

I'm guessing some kind of genetic malfunction.
Will be interesting to see if they 'clear' up with some aging of egg or pullet.
I do hope you post back here with an update occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom