When do they stop using the heating pad?

SarahMcChicken

Hatching
May 17, 2016
This is my first time raising chicks and I'm using the mama heating pad method. Love it! However, my chicks are now 3 weeks old and the largest one (a black cornish) screams at night that she is cold and I have to turn up the pad to the highest setting again (I turn it down a couple notches during the day) before she quiets down. They no longer get under but all like to lay on top of it at night. I'm in Arizona and I don't have the air conditioning on yet- but it's around 80 degrees here in the house. They are also in the house. At what point do they start weening themselves off of the heating pad? I thought the heating pad would be down a few notches by now. Or do I just have some super spoiled chickens? lol

80F should be more than warm enough for 3 week old chicks. Perhaps raise the blanket so they can fit under it again.
You can set it up on wood or bricks so they have more space.

Last edited:
They probably no longer need the heat at all. I'd remove the pad cave entirely and replace it with a cardboard 'huddle box'. She may be objecting to no longer feeling the security of the cave, rather than the temperature.

Back
Top Bottom