When to switch my chicks over to adult food?

PopVultureATX

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hi-

I have two chicks that are about four weeks old. They're nearly fully feathered and are getting big - I'm going to put them out in the coop soon, but probably not for a couple more weeks. That said, when should I switch them over to regular feed? I'm feeding them Manna Pro chick crumbles right now, and the feed that I'm already feeding my fully grown Rhode Island Red outside in the coop is a non-GMO food I bought locally.

On another note, I live in Austin, so it's definitely hot here. The chicks being cold is no concern... do you think it'd be a bad idea to put them outside at six weeks, or should I wait the full 60 days as suggested in the 101 section on this site?

I had mine out by 6 weeks and they are doing great ! and mine are bantams
wink.png

if they are not on a grower, you may want to start winging them over. I have min ea starter/grower and will continue until they reach laying age, and at that time will wing them over to the adult laying food.
Most bags will give you general lines on the back of the product.But you really want to start moving them to a grower pretty soon. An do Not just stop the old food. start slowing mixing in the new food with the old food. then lessen old food until they are totally switched over.
smile.png

I live SW of Austin and put 4 week-old chicks out in their coop over the weekend- they are doing fine. I was more concerned with our 100+ days and have been giving them ice water 3x in the afternoon and frozen half gallon jugs covered with and old shirt to sit on- they love it!

Quote:
Excellent! I had no idea there was so such thing as "grower." Off to Callahan's tomorrow
smile.png
I have to go anyway because I want to buy some cracked corn for my grown hen. I want some orange yolks!

Last edited:
In addition... I just looked online and can't seem to find anything that specifically is marketed as a grower. The only thing I found was Purina Start & Grow, which is suggested for feeding up to 18-20 weeks.

Has anybody used this stuff? Is there a better suggestion?

Thanks!

There are limited options in some areas. Some stores only carry a starter/grower feed and a layer feed. If that's what's available, then you use starter/grower until point of lay and then switch to layer (somewhere around 18-20 weeks). Some stores sell an all-purpose feed which is not medicated nor does it contain added calcium for layers. It might not be labeled clearly as "grower" but it can be used as a grower feed. Start & Grow will work fine also but it's probably medicated. I believe they offer it in a non-medicated version in some markets, I've just never seen it. Flock Raiser is Purina's non-medicated, all-purpose feed that is available in most markets.

Quote:
Feed can be very confusing because each company has their own 'formula' or instructions. Some companies sell their feed as starter AND grower, some sell very specific feeds for each life stage of the chick. Do you know the protien levels in the feed that you are using right now? If it is above 20%, that should be fine to feed until your hens start laying, then you switch to layer feed.

I do know that Zamzows sells pullet developer feed, if you have that chain in your area.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.

Since you live in TX you probably want to keep them under that nice cool heat lamp in the brooder vs putting them outside in the oven (joking!) and you probably have a TSC (Tractor Supply Co) close by and they sell Purina and I've heard that the store brand they carry is Purina also, but just under a different name, not sure if it's true or not, some people say yes some say no and that they can "smell" a big difference from the chicken poo and that the purina is better and not as stinky. I use purina all the time and have had great luck with it.

Most all feed brands have a "starter/grower", then a "raiser", and then a "layer", but you don't have to use the "raiser" and you can keep them on "starter" until they start laying eggs then switch to "layer".

Here is a link to purina's product listing and each one gives a timeline and guideline, on when to give what.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/CompleteProductList/default.aspx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom