Which feed is best for chick's at each stage?

Everyone has an opinion.

I'd start with Chick Starter or an All Flock crumble. Continue until they all come into lay, then decide whether you want to switch to a Layer Feed or feed an All Flock Feed (crumble or pellet).

If I'm raising chicks with a broody or within the flock, I use an All Flock Feed, this way everyone can eat it and can eat it from hatch to end of life with no issues. Makes life easy.

Oyster shell free choice when they come into lay.
Grit (Crushed Granite) appropriate size from hatch all through life.

"Starter" is intended for young chicks, generally newly hatched to around 8 weeks of age. "Grower" is intended for chicks in the middle bracket, from around 8 weeks to 16-18ish, or the point of lay. This is all generalized, each brand has it's own instructions so if you really can't decide what to do, go by the bag's recommendations. But there's no rule that you have to switch off of starter, or that you can't feed grower for life.

Don't worry about the name. The things to look at mainly are protein %, calcium %, and size of the feed pieces (as very young or small chicks can struggle with larger pellets for example). Protein for starters are generally around 20% or so, grower may be a little lower. Calcium in both should be around 1% or so. For this reason all flock is often an acceptable substitute for one or both as it hits those numbers.

Back
Top Bottom