• Leghorn and Cornish Cross

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Both are Cornish Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SequoiaBaby7

Chirping
Jul 28, 2017
i just got my first set of chicks last Wednesday! :wee After 15 years of wanting my own flock, my land lord gave me the approval to build a coop in our yard. I immediately ordered eight chicks from Meyer that were hatching on the 24th and couldn't be happier with my little girls.

Unfortunately, one of my yellow chicks was DOA and I am unsure which one it was because I ordered one white leghorn and two Cornish crosses. The woman who I spoke to at Meyer was very kind and empathetic of my situation and she suggested that they send me a preplacement longhorn because they are more expensive. However, if the one that died was actually a Cornish cross, my husband would not be very happy about me having another egg layer because he wants as many meat birds as possible.

Now that I am looking at the two chicks I have, there's not a whole lot of differences because they are 4 days old. There is one who is taller and thinner, the feathers on her wings are significantly longer,and her tail feather are already coming in. The second one is slightly larger in size, but shorter and stockier. When I compare their legs, the second one has larger feet, but it's not very noticeable.

I would share pictures but you would not be able to really see the difference between the two. I could go along with ordering the leghorn, but if I end up with 2 of them, one would definitely end up in the soup pot. So let me know what you think, is one a leghorn and one a Cornish cross, or are the both Cornish crosses?? Thanks for your advice!

Order the leghorn. If it turns out to be an extra, you can sell it if it's female or eat it if it's male. You won't be able to do much with two cornish cross anyway. They aren't meant to be bred/make a breeding flock of meat birds.

I have had both the Cornish cross and white Leghorns. The Cornish are much stockier even as little chicks and have pretty thick legs. Leghorns are generally a little taller as well as longer and more slender.
Based on your description of the live ones the one that died was probably a Cornish X.

Can you really order just one chick at a time? I'd think that it would be more likely to die, being alone and without the body heat from other chicks.

Edited to add- almost forgot! Congratulations on your new little chicks! :wee

The one on the left is the first chick while the one on the right is the second. You can definitely see how the feathers are much more developed on the one on the left. I'll try to get pictures of their legs too.
IMG_6463.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG

Order the leghorn. If it turns out to be an extra, you can sell it if it's female or eat it if it's male. You won't be able to do much with two cornish cross anyway. They aren't meant to be bred/make a breeding flock of meat birds.

We intend on butchering the Cornish Crosses at 8 weeks. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Back
Top Bottom