Whiting True Blue & Whiting True Green

I purchased 50 Whiting True Greens from Murray hatchery in March and they began laying @ 16 weeks of age! I also purchased 25 Whiting True Blues the same time and at 19 weeks, they are just starting to lay. The WTG eggs are already 1.8 oz +. However, there is a percentage of the WTG eggs that are shades of brown. I contacted Murray hatchery and they replied that eventually hens laying the brown eggs will become green, that the WTG breed true for egg color. I felt a bit insulted, as we all know hens lay only one color of egg. In close observation, some of the WTG show no whitish/greenish/blue on their earlobes, and they are solid red just like my Isa Browns I purchased from Townline hatchery. So either I received some substituted variety or WTG do NOT breed true. I will say their eggs are beautiful, the WTG pullets have a calm, friendly temperament (the True Blues are extremely flighty), from day 1 they lay in the Kuhl 10-hole nest box I purchased used, never even once in their chopped straw bedding. Since I sell eggs through our self-service, refrigerated egg depot, I am not disappointed to be getting some brown eggs. I just would like to hear from others who purchased Whiting True Greens from Murray hatchery if they are also getting any brown eggs.View attachment 1514308 View attachment 1514309
Good to know, I've had WTG from McMurray for a xouplenyears. The first two were the lighter variety withehite in the tail and laid large gre eggs. I bough two more this spring, they also came with the white in the tail and then about 3 weeks later I bought several more but these came in the darker reddish color with black in the tail. I was confused but after looking around I found out about these two main variations but I didn't know they might lay brown eggs! They aren't laying yet at 16 weeks but I will have to separate them out from my breeding flock now to check egg color before breeding season as we keep WTG, Ameracauna, Black Copper Marans and Bielefelders together assuming we can see the egg color difference. You just saved me a LOT of drama and wasted time. Thank you

I purchased 50 Whiting True Greens from Murray hatchery in March and they began laying @ 16 weeks of age! I also purchased 25 Whiting True Blues the same time and at 19 weeks, they are just starting to lay. The WTG eggs are already 1.8 oz +. However, there is a percentage of the WTG eggs that are shades of brown. I contacted Murray hatchery and they replied that eventually hens laying the brown eggs will become green, that the WTG breed true for egg color. I felt a bit insulted, as we all know hens lay only one color of egg. In close observation, some of the WTG show no whitish/greenish/blue on their earlobes, and they are solid red just like my Isa Browns I purchased from Townline hatchery. So either I received some substituted variety or WTG do NOT breed true. I will say their eggs are beautiful, the WTG pullets have a calm, friendly temperament (the True Blues are extremely flighty), from day 1 they lay in the Kuhl 10-hole nest box I purchased used, never even once in their chopped straw bedding. Since I sell eggs through our self-service, refrigerated egg depot, I am not disappointed to be getting some brown eggs. I just would like to hear from others who purchased Whiting True Greens from Murray hatchery if they are also getting any brown eggs.View attachment 1514308 View attachment 1514309
I also purchased from McMurray. Our WTG also lay some brown or pinkish colored eggs as well. I hatched some this year and have them tagged to see what color eggs they lay when they get old enough.

The Whiting Chicken is a "true" breed developed for its feathers which is used to make flies for fishing ... https://whitingfarms.com/wf_story.htm
However my belief is those being sold at "hatcheries" are not always the "true" bloodline, I have one now (McMurray) that lays green eggs but her ear lobes are white, not believing the ear lobe theory ... My phone's not the greatest
Left = WTB/McMurray ... Egg on the right, green but at times gets grayish, white ear lobe
Center = EE/TSC/Hoover ... Egg in the center, brown, white ear lobe
Right = WTB/Marans mix ... Egg on the left, pale blue, white ear lobe

Attachments

• 0117 Marron, Kiko, Ehu.jpg
    0117 Marron, Kiko, Ehu.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0325 Eggs in a row.jpg
    0325 Eggs in a row.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
The Whiting Chicken is a "true" breed developed for its feathers which is used to make flies for fishing ... https://whitingfarms.com/wf_story.htm

That is not true, sorry.
Genetic Hackle Fowl were developed for fly tying.
Tom Whiting bought up almost all lines of GHF years ago. Some people erroneously credit him with their creation because Whitings Fly Ties is a big name in the fly fishing industry. But the real creators started way back in the 50's and Whiting simply capitalized on it (and brought the different lines together, for an overall improvement).
Whiting also bred WTB and WTG. He says in his videos on youtube that there's no Genetic Hackle Fowl in their lineage.
The WTB was meant to display his prowess at breeding. In light of that, I'm still curious why he stopped at the point he did - with no body type or color expectations.

If I sound grumpy it's probably that I still haven't gotten over the video where he's standing in their hatching room next to the professional sexer and declares the several trays of female GHF chicks would be "thrown away" because they have enough hens laying. Those poor little female chicks would not even meet a humane end, let alone be sold to people who would want and care for them.
For this reason I won't put the "Dr." in front of his name.

thanks for posting

That is not true, sorry.
Genetic Hackle Fowl were developed for fly tying.
Tom Whiting bought up almost all lines of GHF years ago. Some people erroneously credit him with their creation because Whitings Fly Ties is a big name in the fly fishing industry. But the real creators started way back in the 50's and Whiting simply capitalized on it (and brought the different lines together, for an overall improvement).
Whiting also bred WTB and WTG. He says in his videos on youtube that there's no Genetic Hackle Fowl in their lineage.
The WTB was meant to display his prowess at breeding. In light of that, I'm still curious why he stopped at the point he did - with no body type or color expectations.

If I sound grumpy it's probably that I still haven't gotten over the video where he's standing in their hatching room next to the professional sexer and declares the several trays of female GHF chicks would be "thrown away" because they have enough hens laying. Those poor little female chicks would not even meet a humane end, let alone be sold to people who would want and care for them.
For this reason I won't put the "Dr." in front of his name.
What a monster! They are all precious living things, they should at least have been sold or given to people who'd give them a good chance at life! "Thrown away"....GRRRR!

Good to know, I've had WTG from McMurray for a xouplenyears. The first two were the lighter variety withehite in the tail and laid large gre eggs. I bough two more this spring, they also came with the white in the tail and then about 3 weeks later I bought several more but these came in the darker reddish color with black in the tail. I was confused but after looking around I found out about these two main variations but I didn't know they might lay brown eggs! They aren't laying yet at 16 weeks but I will have to separate them out from my breeding flock now to check egg color before breeding season as we keep WTG, Ameracauna, Black Copper Marans and Bielefelders together assuming we can see the egg color difference. You just saved me a LOT of drama and wasted time. Thank you
Are you breeding the WTG's? If so, do they breed true for green eggs?

Getting all green eggs from my six hens. A barnyard mix went broody and hatched two hens both of which laid green eggs. The roo is very handsome.

Back
Top Bottom