Will potting soil hurt my chickens?

thytay&chickenmomma

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
NC
I have been throwing bags of regular top soil in the chicken run to cut down on the red clay mud mess when it rains and it has helped tremendously. I am now out of the top soil and ran to the store looking to buy more and no one near me has any, only potting soil left. Can I use bags of potting soil or will some of the additives in potting soil hurt my chickens? Thanks

I have been throwing bags of regular top soil in the chicken run to cut down on the red clay mud mess when it rains and it has helped tremendously. I am now out of the top soil and ran to the store looking to buy more and no one near me has any, only potting soil left. Can I use bags of potting soil or will some of the additives in potting soil hurt my chickens? Thanks
What does the label say?
Does if have chemicals mixed in?

What does the label say?
Does if have chemicals mixed in?

This is what the label says on the 1 bag I bought:
This Product is Regionally Formulated from Organic Materials (Including One or More of the Following: Hypnum Peat, Forest Products or Compost) Sand, Fertilizer, and Perlite. In California This Product is Regionally Formulated from Forest Products, Compost, Sand, and Perlite. In Georgia This Product is Regionally Formulated to Contain (77-87%) Aged Pine Bark, Sand, and Perlite. In Texas This Product is Regionally Formulated to Contain Aged Pine Bark, Sand, and Perlite.

You know you could buy a square bale of hay to throw in there too.

We tried that and the hay over time still soaked in the red clay and still made a mess, and eventually would always mold no matter what we did. Using the added top soil along with some pine shavings every 2-3 months has been the only thing to make a huge difference.

They are only going to eat so much of it...
it's no worse then the dirt in the yard.

Adding soil is a short term solution.
You need a good mix of dry plant matter.
First, correct any drainage issues.
What is your climate? (add location to profile)

Adding soil is a short term solution.
You need a good mix of dry plant matter.
First, correct any drainage issues.
What is your climate? (add location to profile)

The run is not covered, that is why it is so muddy. We have red clay mud here, NC, & when it rains it makes a huge muddy mess. The soil and pine shavings make it so much better for a couple months before I have to do it again. I do add grass clippings after mowing right now. I did try adding leaves that had fallen and were dry but that just mucks in the red clay mud too, same with hay/straw. I am working on putting a roof on the run, I am sure that will help tremendously.I was considering adding regular mulch? The only issue, it comes from the landfill and I have no idea what type of wood(s) they use to make the mulch and was afraid it could contain something that could harm my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom