➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Wake up! Update time. Rise and shine you sleepy heads!

I ain't doing nothing. Those little guys are figuring it out. I said "might" be a pip.
I like it!

The little ones are definitely pipped. 2 out of 10. Almost no progress overnight.
I went to sleep to get my beauty rest.
It's ok. Tonight they will make progress. If they aren't drowning.

well both my eggs and new bator are due arrive tomorrow!! Last night I started salt test on my accessory hygrometer.....guessing I put a small container of salt inside the incubator to test it when it arrives as it has built in hygrometer?? planning to also test temp accuracy with hubby’s trusty meat probe! :fl:fl that everything arrives and works properly so eggs can be set on Monday.
if i end up with more than 56 eggs (which i’m guessing 60+ as they usually throw in extras) I will have to run the other bator too until first candling to remove any clears.
I was watching videos on the new bator and hubby said he liked it and I should get one like that :lau I replied good, cuz it will be here Thursday!! of course he would’ve chosen a full batch of pearl or snowy eggs as my little pearl from last group is his fav! “lots of yeller”:gig
No. Salt in the bator won't work, it's not air tight.
Buy a separate one and salt test it then compare the bator's reading to the tested one.

Test the new hygrometer in a ziplock bag or closed container. Figure out how accurate it is. Then put it in the incubator and compare the built-in unit to the one you just tested. No salt needed inside the incubator :)
This. I am not good about reading ahead before I post.

thanks @WVduckchick and @Texas Kiki! my salt test from last night is up to 70%....it tested accurate originally?...wondering if new battery would change reading?......ambient temp reading seems to be within 1* of house thermostat

Unless you had the salt way too dry, that’s not too bad off the shelf. 5% isn’t a huge variation. At least you know it’s close enough.
And yes, I would definitely recommend a fresh battery.

Omg I’m so excited. My parlor roller pair of pigeons started a nest the other day. She laid her first egg, and this morning I see the second egg. It’s on! :clap
0B790A94-C7EF-4775-9A91-809B54E785B9.jpeg

I want to order more quail eggs to add to the incubator with the turkey eggs when there's 18 days left. I don't want to end up with two brooders running though. What to do? :he I The turkey eggs are not guaranteed to be fertile. They may not hatch and then I will have nothing. I guess I wait for now and see. I really want more quail to hatch now that I have live breeding in my head. :barnie
I have brooded turkey poults with guinea keets. The poults are at least twice the size of the keets and it works out okay for me. I highly recommend that you add the quail eggs just in case any of the turkey eggs hatch. The poults will do much better than trying to brood just a few poults by themselves. There is also the fact that if the turkey eggs don't hatch at least you will have quail to brood.

Back
Top Bottom