āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Unfortunately had another chick loss today. One that didn't quite straighten it's neck after hatching, but seemed like it was taking food and water without problem and generally coping well up to today. I didn't see anything off about it when I checked first thing in the morning, but when I got home from some errands, the chick was in a rough state with obvious stargazing, gasping, and extreme weakness. After a bit of consideration on the situation, the details of the symptoms, I decided any further attempts to help the chick would likely just prolong suffering and committed to euthanizing. I can deal with butchering extra roosters, which my family knows is going to happen, but I've already been emotional this week and explaining to my son what was going on (he's old enough to hear the truth in plain, non-graphic language) made me cry, especially because he was developing some fondness for it.

Oh geez, I'm sorry.:hugsThe little runts always end up my favorites too. That sounds like a traumatic week!

Unfortunately had another chick loss today. One that didn't quite straighten it's neck after hatching, but seemed like it was taking food and water without problem and generally coping well up to today. I didn't see anything off about it when I checked first thing in the morning, but when I got home from some errands, the chick was in a rough state with obvious stargazing, gasping, and extreme weakness. After a bit of consideration on the situation, the details of the symptoms, I decided any further attempts to help the chick would likely just prolong suffering and committed to euthanizing. I can deal with butchering extra roosters, which my family knows is going to happen, but I've already been emotional this week and explaining to my son what was going on (he's old enough to hear the truth in plain, non-graphic language) made me cry, especially because he was developing some fondness for the chick.
I'm so sorry.
:hugs:hugs

Today is lock down for our homebred eggs:eek:

It's also our first hatch using grippy mat in brooder & bator.. I already dread how much poop will be on it :sick

Not really a problem in the incubator. It's kinda gross in the brooder but if you put a layer of papertowels underneath it helps.

This! Either of these but colony life can be harrowing just like with quail.

I am maaaybe maaaaaaaybe getting one of @Sara L 's babies depending on how the gender spread turns out for her/how many she keeps.

I would ideally have space for a trio total + playpen for babies but as we are seeing space is becoming premium...
I'm only planning to keep one of the babies if 1) it's a girl, and 2) it makes weight on time. The others will be eaten or traded. I tried to look at the underside of one but it was too squirmy and didn't want to be upside down. So not sure of genders. They are 4 different colors. When I weighed earlier this week they were 1 lb 10 oz, 1 lb 10 oz, 1 lb 12 oz, and 1 lb 13 oz at 4 weeks and 2 days old. They are 5 weeks old today, I need to weigh them again. Pepper is due for a romantic date this weekend and the babies should be weaned this coming week.

There's a gal only about an hour's drive away that has a bunch of rabbits that I might be able to get a Californian buck and another doe if we can finish the cage set up tomorrow morning. In progress picture:
KIMG4481.JPG

I'm only planning to keep one of the babies if 1) it's a girl, and 2) it makes weight on time. The others will be eaten or traded. I tried to look at the underside of one but it was too squirmy and didn't want to be upside down. So not sure of genders. They are 4 different colors. When I weighed earlier this week they were 1 lb 10 oz, 1 lb 10 oz, 1 lb 12 oz, and 1 lb 13 oz at 4 weeks and 2 days old. They are 5 weeks old today, I need to weigh them again. Pepper is due for a romantic date this weekend and the babies should be weaned this coming week.

There's a gal only about an hour's drive away that has a bunch of rabbits that I might be able to get a Californian buck and another doe if we can finish the cage set up tomorrow morning. In progress picture:
View attachment 1688971
The momma can get pregnant that quick after having babies?

Apparently it's better to wait till she weans the babies. So all her body's resources go to growing more baby rabbits -versus producing milk.

I had rabbits once.. the little buggers dug out and ran away :lau s**t heads.

I would have to convert a big part of my yard with netting underneath then grass on top to have breeding bunnies.. hhhrrrmmmm.. I dunno if I've got the energy :thmaybe a gun license and a gun would be easier, then I can get wild ones.

View attachment 1688971

Beautiful cages!! I am so mad browsing CL; there are so many beautiful cages for sale cheap but they are all only set up for being put outside.
I have gone back and forth on what other breed I want so many times :gig Californians are beautiful and so special being local! I've also given some weight to the "identical white (ideally red eyed) buns are easy to process and not get attached to" school of thought. There are too many beautiful NZ reds around too.

I love the giant breeds but only being able to turn them out in larger quarters supervised part of the time is making me rethink them, especially since they're actually less efficient usuallly. The list of animals to go into rotation in the little outdoor predator protected space is also getting looooooong if you include the three cats and all the birds! I can make a pretty dope multi-story living space for a 5-10lb bunny in the heated greenhouse but the 15-20lbers are going to have to wait until the second greenhouse ( :D ) is in the budget.

Pepper and her babies have the coolest rainbow chinchilla look :love I love them. I hope the light grey one is a 4 1/2lb doe :oops:.

The momma can get pregnant that quick after having babies?
She could technically get pregnant right after she has the first bunch, but then she would wean them really early when she has the next bunch 28-35 days later. That would be bad for their health, and bad for her as it wouldn't allow her to build her resources back up. She would end up with smaller litters, smaller kits, and health issues all around. It would burn up her body faster. I'm aiming for 4-6 litters per year, and she should last 2-3 years before I need to replace her.

Back
Top Bottom