āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

iā€™m still in very early stages....nowhere near actual ā€œbreedingā€ program as I have yet to even see my first egg. and I currently keep all of my quail together (but because of age/color) I know the source of the different birds. Hubby actually laughed at me for even watching the videos on genetics today. the recommendation to vary my stock and breed for both size and color is intriguing however. with that being said, i looked at 15 jmf meatmaker, 15 jumbo recessive white, and 15 celadon from kc as next possible hatch. (also couldnā€™t resist possibly adding 24 chukar eggs) :oops:

I'm at the same point, thinking JMF meat makers might be our next batch of eggs

Day 15 over here :pop waiting..

I think I am going to cull my couple of smaller (now 8 week) hens in the coming weeks. Interestingly they are the most skittish :idunno

As for my boy.. hhrrrmmm..
no crowing.. no foam.. yet!!

My roo, being the only one, doesn't make much noise. When there were several males it was a different story...lots of racket out there all day.

My quail hatch has been put off for a while. I was saving eggs to set this week and things out of my control changed my plans. :hmm

I knew better than to go there. I knew it was a bad decision. :oops:

Tractor supply has chicks. :wee

I came home with 12 Isa Browns and 3 assorted ducks. :woot

Now my brooder is full. :th
Time to build another brooder

Too soon!
Thatā€™s what I thought. I can tell mature bobs apart pretty well. Are they like ducks in that males are generally bigger than females? I like to sit and watch them just so I can learn more about their behaviors. The little ones are starting to dig down in the pine shavings sending chips flying everywhere. It funny to watch. I didnā€™t see my other batch do that. So itā€™s a cool first for me.

Back
Top Bottom