➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

http://www.animalhealthsolutionsinc.com/products/117-chick-boost.aspx

I’ve used this product on all my chicken chicks for about a week after bringing them home (and haven’t lost one after three different brooder batches); does anyone know if this is safe to use with quail? Going to take the advice of that video that @CayugaJana posted and get a couple batches of water started to come up to room temperature before everyone hatches.

Just had to process a bowleg and a wonky foot I was giving the chance to make it to butcher weight. Didn't happen- they were both starting to struggle with the increased weight - but I don't feel bad about not culling them earlier. They got a few extra weeks to scratch in the dirt with their friends, and waiting meant there was a perfect little dinner snack amount of meat for the critters and I got two beautiful new colors of feathers to take to the fly shop.

And the first pip (that I can see) JUST happened! Guess I won’t be sleeping tonight...hopefully my face pressed up against the plastic incubator window doesn’t traumatize the hatchlings. ;)

Went from a pip to chick in no time flat! First little bumble bee has hatched. Pipped around 9:45pm (pacific) and fully hatched just before 12:30am.

Now I’m paranoid about it getting into the container I have in the incubator that is filled with a washcloth and some water (for humidity)...container has pretty tall sides (compared to chick), it’s the lid to a butter dish and washcloth is folded in a way so that it spans the length of the lid. Water is only half full (so washcloth is above water level) but washcloth is saturated. I’m hoping these little buggers are so exhausted after hatching that they don’t start their hopping for at least a few hours...don’t want the poor thing to drown if/when I fall asleep!

Went from a pip to chick in no time flat! First little bumble bee has hatched. Pipped around 9:45pm (pacific) and fully hatched just before 12:30am.

Now I’m paranoid about it getting into the container I have in the incubator that is filled with a washcloth and some water (for humidity)...container has pretty tall sides (compared to chick), it’s the lid to a butter dish and washcloth is folded in a way so that it spans the length of the lid. Water is only half full (so washcloth is above water level) but washcloth is saturated. I’m hoping these little buggers are so exhausted after hatching that they don’t start their hopping for at least a few hours...don’t want the poor thing to drown if/when I fall asleep!
You can leave them in there ther are good for at least 12 to 14 hours no harm in letting them set. More damage could be done by opening it up.

Back
Top Bottom