➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

:hitthe “assists” look to have “crooked” neck. one cannot right itself and will probably be necessary to cull tomorrow. the other may escape cull but is definitely a “runt” :hit

in other news.....at least 2 buttons pipped:wee
Get the wry necked one on Nutri-Drench and Vit B ASAP. It might not become permanate if you act promptly.

Get the wry necked one on Nutri-Drench and Vit B ASAP. It might not become permanate if you act promptly.
I tried all that with past hatches to no avail.....already increased risk to other eggs too much with my interference. the 1 is doing better this morning. 2 more SSC and 2 buttons hatched overnight. will get everyone moved to brooder this afternoon and cull the 1. it’s that equilibrium problem where it lay on side and kicking but cannot stay on belly. I think it was breech in the egg but can’t figure out how it zipped so clean at the correct end when it was coming out butt first???

Five so far (four in brooder, one drying in incubator, all doing great), one that has been a little more than pipped (but not quite unzipping) since yesterday afternoon (she is alive, breathing and resting when I last checked at 11am) so I may be assisting her tonight/early tomorrow if she hasn’t progressed. Two more with tiny hairline pips/wiggles. Hoping for 9.

I had not planned for just how gosh darn cute these little turds are...I am hooked! One even did it’s first popcorn jump this morning!

Update: six in the brooder, one in the bator drying and resting after I had to assist as she was shrink wrapped (downside to getting chicks out to put in brooder periodically I suppose). Only two eggs left! One egg is still just a tiny pip but I can hear action inside, and the last egg has not pipped and I don’t think I hear anything...today is day 19, would it be ok to float test that last one or should I wait until day 20?

As long as it’s not pipped internally either. However, I’d still wait.

Thanks, still not quite sure what an internal pip looks like while candling (assuming it’s just a slight point into the air cell) but as of candling last night, the perimeter of the air cell appeared unbroken. I will wait until tomorrow.

@Blooie lives in Wyoming and needs to know that she has to get a permit first and that the required tests and certificates for bringing pheasants in from out of state is something that most hatcheries are not willing to provide. NPIP isn't good enough for the Wyoming G&F. One of the requirements for getting the permit is the facilities inspection to make sure that none of the pheasants will be escaping.

Living in a partially quarantined state at the moment, and just wanted to thank you for all the championing of following legal procedures for poultry keeping you do. :bow
I tried all that with past hatches to no avail.....already increased risk to other eggs too much with my interference. the 1 is doing better this morning. 2 more SSC and 2 buttons hatched overnight. will get everyone moved to brooder this afternoon and cull the 1. it’s that equilibrium problem where it lay on side and kicking but cannot stay on belly. I think it was breech in the egg but can’t figure out how it zipped so clean at the correct end when it was coming out butt first???

Thats usually the same underlying issue as wry neck. They're stargazing so badly they flip all the way over. I have had chicks with each, and both. Some respond to vitamins, most don't and have to be put down. :/

so ready for workday to end today so i can get home to my babies!! 3rd button had zipped and was trying to pop out when I left at 9:15!! (it is one of the 2 that i saw pipped last night). hopefully at least 1 more will pop so I have a 50% hatch on that batch. I’m at 60% hatch of 48 SSC eggs that showed movement at last candling. :fl:fl:pop:pop

Back
Top Bottom