āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

@CoturnixComplex do you know if there is any resemblance of human and quail sperm? I know in humans male sperm swim faster because they weigh less, but also die off faster. So if someone wanted to increase their chances of having a girl, you would have sex 3 days before ovulation.

So if you took quail, had them mate then incubated eggs (from a certain number of days after mating) you will see more females hatch?:idunno
I don't believe that would be possible due to the way that fowl store the sperm. Once a hen is bred, depending on the species, she can lay fertile eggs for at least two weeks and in the case of turkeys it has been claimed they can lay fertile eggs for a month after being bred.

I don't believe that would be possible due to the way that fowl store the sperm. Once a hen is bred, depending on the species, she can lay fertile eggs for at least two weeks and in the case of turkeys it has been claimed they can lay fertile eggs for a month after being bred.
Sperm can live in the human vaginal canal up to 3 days if I remember correctly. I like to point out the male sperm die first because they contribute very little genetic information to the baby.:gig Ok Iā€™m not much of a feminist but I like to tease.;)

But I just remembered in quail the female decides the sex of the chicks. Which is opposite in humans. So I doubt the same principle would work.

I would LOVE to have goats. My wife wants pygmy goats if we ever get a place where we could keep them. I'm in a township that does not allow livestock on residential property. There's a ordinance granted exception to chickens and I raise the quail without a problem so far since they are pretty much just pet birds in a cage.
As for the status of the quail. They are doing well. I cut off the heat in the sun room late last week. We are steadily getting mid 40s (F) during the day and just a slight frost at night. Keeping indoors without heat is my way of conditioning them to go into the shed coop. I have realized I'm going to have to provide more supplemental lighting in the shed coop for the quail. There's a window and two light bulbs in the back where the chickens are as well as two light bulbs in the ceiling where the quail will be. The three quail cages are stacked though and nearly 3ft deep. Light from above will not sufficiently light up the bottom and middle cages. I'm going to have to install covered bulbs or LED strips. Anybody have success with LED strips as a light source for egg production?
i have seen posts about christmas lights working as supplemental for quail

Where did you order rabbits? Are you sourcing form a local breeder? I would like to start a meat rabbit breeding program, but cannot find a source locally. I wish I could order through a store, but those options seem to have all disappeared too.
it would be a little bit of a drive for you, but my brother-in-law has a great meat rabbitry between louisville and lexington....i think they are down-sizing but may have stock left to sell.

I think goats are terrible pets to be honest. But I hace 30hectares of weeds on my new land, so I need some help!
These 3 are in my suburban backyard this week, because I don't trust the little terd burgers not to somehow-houdini-style-escape from the farm. Just giving them a bit of time to adjust and accept us (they hate us :lau) before I leave them unsupervised.

Back
Top Bottom