➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

x3 female!

@FunOnABun does that mean you got your four girls?! :D

Looks that way! The two Italians I hatched are speckled all over and the other pharaoh I suspect is female has much more speckling on the breast than this one (and no rust)! I think I lucked out with a 50/50 split. Now I just need to pick out which male I’m going to keep with my four ladies.

@BullChick how’s your little one?
I think a lot of white in the poop sometimes can mean dehydration. Is it drinking well?
I am not happy about her water intake.
I moved the quail to a better setup. Instead of leaving her alone in the kitchen, expecting her to die at any moment, she is in a larger box in the living room (the dog feels like an idiot for not realizing she was in there. He told me so!) with a thick cushion of bedding. While I tried to make a nest to keep her upright, she was not into it. She’s a strong little bugger!
Still pooping, and she ate some egg. Considering she’s a quail, I guess she ate a lot of egg. :D
I’m still waiting for the coffee to kick in. If anyone wants to tell me the drug amounts for quail (starting with goat Safeguard, or Duramycin. Whichever you think I should start with) so I don’t have to go through my notes, I’d appreciate it.

@BullChick how’s your little one?
I think a lot of white in the poop sometimes can mean dehydration. Is it drinking well?
Could be Bacterial diarrhoea, also...what bothers me is the laying down on her side.
If she 'passes' I hope you can do a necropsy on her @BullChick , take pics, might be able to determine what was the cause of infection.

Last edited:
Could be Bacterial diarrhoea, also...what bothers me is the laying down on her side.
If she 'passes' I hope you can do a necropcy on her @BullChick , take pics, might be able to determine what was the cause of infection.

I shocked myself by doing my first necropsy this week. I had a BCM pullet that had been ill since last November, but I kept hoping she would pull thru. She died overnight Tuesday. Her liver was a mess!

If she 'passes' I hope you can do a necropcy on her @BullChick , take pics, might be able to determine what was the cause of infection.
Is it wrong that I actually was sorry she wasn’t gone? I will give her a chance. I mean, she is my favorite. I’m not 100% about opening her up. I’ve still never done that alone, and only had one session with a tutor. As a city girl, I’ve come far.
Anyway, I do really need to do it. If I cannot do it on her, how on earth do I expect to do it when I kill the others for meat?!

Back
Top Bottom