āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

If you hold the wet paper towel against the dried membrane long enough for the membrane to absorb the water, It will lift right off once it is wet enough.
I had a duckling with membrane stuck to it. I put a damp wash cloth in the microwave to heat it up. Then made sure it wasnā€™t too hot and bundled it up in my hands inside the wash cloth for a few minutes. It came right off.

If you hold the wet paper towel against the dried membrane long enough for the membrane to absorb the water, It will lift right off once it is wet enough.

I should do it longer next time and run the heater on that room. He's been so slicked down and now wet for so long I keep being afraid I will kill him with temp shock! Maybe I will set him up in there to marinate somehow. Problem is now that his legs are free he is squirrelly as all get out.

I should do it longer next time and run the heater on that room. He's been so slicked down and now wet for so long I keep being afraid I will kill him with temp shock! Maybe I will set him up in there to marinate somehow. Problem is now that his legs are free he is squirrelly as all get out.
That is why I use 100Ā°F water to wet the paper towel. You are also dealing with the Vaseline making it harder for the water to get to the dried membrane.

If you are concerned about temperature fluctuations, sit in a steamy bathroom.

I live in zone 9 I believe. I was thinking about planting hyacinth bean vine. Itā€™s in full sun.
Passion flower vine. Fruit is edible. Grapes. The wild ones grow fast and are hard to kill and edible leaves.
Beans for short term. I should try that. Tomato vines last year did wonderful things. Sweet taters? Also edible, may need some protection to get started.

Passion flower vine. Fruit is edible. Grapes. The wild ones grow fast and are hard to kill and edible leaves.
Beans for short term. I should try that. Tomato vines last year did wonderful things. Sweet taters? Also edible, may need some protection to get started.

Are nightshade stalks/leaves toxic for critters? I feel like I have heard that.

Making progress! Other eyeball free! Have to go in stages still, he is right and proper glued up so the water is having a hard time reaching all the spots at once.

Leaves of plants belonging to the nightshade family (tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes, etc.) are poisonous. Small amounts are not fatal and the plant leaves are usually avoided by poultry but I would not put them in my run.

What kind of vines can I grow up my flight pen thatā€™s vigorous but not toxic to birds? All the vigorous ones I can think of are poisonous.
Hopps, I have some on my pens. They provide good shade too. Need to keep them pruned, or they get outta hand.

Yea!!! What colors are they again??
I can't remember, it was a mix though. I messaged the seller, maybe I can get some insight. I'm new to quail and really wasn't concerned with color, or even aware of all the colors, when I bought these.

Is he black!?:eek: I want black babies too! Black and yeller.
It's pretty dark, but still wet. I'll get better pictures when it's all fluffed up.

I have also seen coconut oil recommended for dealing with dried membranes.

On call duck hatch days, I scoop a few chunks of coconut oil into a small glass dish and leave sitting on a coffee mug warmer. I like Vaseline for moistening membranes while assisting, but the coconut oil does do a better job at removing stuck membranes. I hate it when it gets stuck to the eyeball!

I also have used a cotton ball with warm water.
upload_2019-4-8_13-5-46.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom