➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

with my pearls, I hatched 13. 12 were yeller. the other one was falb fee. as adults, 2 of the 12 are more “italian” and a couple are “dirty pearl” with a smattering of golden in the white. So, if pearls hatch 75% true and you ordered 100 eggs (that all hatched) you could get 25 that were not pearl, but were falb fee, italian etc. If you order 200 eggs of a color that hatches 75% true.....then that means 50 chicks could hatch different. with wild type or egyptian, your chances of getting an odd chick is less than 1 out of 100 eggs hatched.
In theory yes and according to Punnet's square but the birds don't have that knowledge of those theories. :lol:
With all the cross breeding that has been done and as so many of the birds in the US have been inbred, I would expect to get even more odd ball surprises.
Most hobbist don't keep accurate records or any records at all....which leads to birds being obtained from the same original breeding stock. Unless you breed and select breeding pairs from those pairings there is no way to know 'for sure' what the genetic lineages your birds may have, if you obtained them from a breeder claiming that those colors that you order are infact true.

Last edited:
In theory yes and according to Punnet's square but the birds don't have that knowledge of those theories. :lol:
With all the cross breeding that has been done and as so many of the birds in the US have been inbred, I would expect to get even more odd ball surprises.
Most hobbist don't keep accurate records or any records at all....which leads to birds being obtained for the same original breeding stock. Unless you breed and select breeding pairs from those pairings there is no way to know 'for sure' what the genetic lineages your birds may have, if you obtained them from a breeder claiming that those colors that you order are infact true.

Yeah there is more than a bit of luck involved here every time too!

This is very nice. Will you be adding a roof/cover to it?
just aviary netting. then inside there will be hideaways of different sizes and looking at adding some benches that double as coop or brooder for temporary housing during extreme winter weather. planted clover, cutting snowball bush down to about 4 feet and adding other plants/grasses

Down to 24 quail. One managed to drown itself in the marble filled waterer last night. :idunno
At what point do they stop committing suicide?
Poor dummy.
Maybe once they are a few weeks old or maybe never.:confused:

just aviary netting. then inside there will be hideaways of different sizes and looking at adding some benches that double as coop or brooder for temporary housing during extreme winter weather. planted clover, cutting snowball bush down to about 4 feet and adding other plants/grasses
That’s the one thing about quail that’s nice, you can plant things in the aviary or put potted plants in there. With my ducks, they destroy anything nice I put in their pen. They are happy with their muddy mess, me not so much.

Back
Top Bottom