➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

My little qualies today :love
View attachment 1750381
View attachment 1750382
View attachment 1750383
View attachment 1750384
View attachment 1750385
Lots of those yellow or brown babies and that one oddball. I know nothing about colors, not my focus, but fun to see. I'm also amazed at how calm they are compared to the chicken chicks. These guys will sit patiently in my hand and always come out to greet me when I enter the brooder. The chickens all run and act like I'm there to kill them. Lol
:th
Screenshot_20190424-150332.png

I’ll check... nope. Four toes only. Black feet. There’s fluff on it’s legs, tho. They were advertised as barnyard mix. Is the five-toe trait recessive? (Or sex link or otherwise repressible?)

Here’s the final result of the hatch... less than 25%. I don’t honestly think that’s my fault. The eggs were in pretty sad shape when I got them.

View attachment 1750509

Probably. Some of the reviewers complained of that.
if it’s mixed breed like mine 1/2 silkie, 1/2 breed with 4 toes. I can’t remember if there’s a pure feather legged with black feet??? I have 2 with 4 toes black feet and 2 with 4 toes yellow feet that came from silkie hens but daddy was standard buff orp. not sure if seller meant barnyard mix as in assorted breed or mix as in mixed breeds. i have only gotten 50% hatch from my mix breed eggs (not shipped). but I kinda attribute that to young cockerels and bantam/standard mix.

Last edited:
12/12 hatched! Set 16 but only 12 were fertile and 2 chicks died shortly after the hatch (one needed assistance, the other one had unabsorb organ(s) hanging out...:eek:). Left with 10 chicks :love

dghdhdh.jpg

We also tested three different incubators (2 different brands, all Styrofoam ones) at different areas of the house. Here's the result so far...

Kitchen Incubator (Farm Innovators 2450):
Set 95 shipped eggs to start, 15 were infertile, 60/80 made it to lockdown (75%).
Note - this incubator has a cold area in the centre (96), while the edges were at 100.5.

Basement Incubator (Farm Innovators 2450):
Set 120 shipped eggs to start, 19 infertile, 91/101 made it to lockdown (90%:woot).
Note - this incubator has cold spot on the bottom left side (97.6) while other areas were at 101.

Basement Incubator (Little Giant, an old still air model with a dial, fan added):
Set 120 shipped eggs, 17 infertile, 88/103 made it to lockdown (85%).
Note - this old incubator has no cold spots and is quite reliable temp. wise, but had a hard time keeping the humidity in.

There's another 50 or so on day 7, many were infertile (low roos atm).

This is our first time stagger hatching. So far it's worked out well I think...we never really get great results but it's always been acceptable. Also to note that we did NOT let the eggs sit for a day before popping them in the incubators, only about 6 hours.

Just thought I'd share this....in case anyone is interested :)

Back
Top Bottom