āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Yeah, I would be very nervous trying to assist a quail with this :S They like to vomit all over me and then act like they're dying from it at the best of times. Have you ever seen anything like that/done anything to treat it?
I've never done it on a bird...fish yes, I've read about the procedure being done on birds but have never seen it done nor performed it on a bird.

Birds have 4 main air sacs, 9 total. 1 on each side of the breast, underneath the wings(clavical) and 1 on each side of the anterior of the bird under the thighs (thoracic). Others are in the brain, and abdominal spaces.
Let me see what I have saved on my computer, if I can find it, I'll post it.

Last edited:
Couldn't find any articles on aspirating the crop with a syringe for pendulous crop on my computer. You may try to make a crop bra from vet wrap. If massaging and aspirating the crop doesn't work a vet may need to surgically correct the problem...of course that would be expensive and not worth it unless a very valuable or rare bird.

I would isolate the bird, not feed it anything but water for a few days to see if it gets better on it's own. Don't over massage the crop, no more than 4 times a day. If it goes flat then you could feed very limited amount of feed and see if the condition returns.
There's really no 'magic bullet' for the treatment of a pendulous crop. In most cases once they have pendulous crop they will always have it.

Birds have 4 main air sacs, 9 total. 1 on each side of the breast, underneath the wings(clavical) and 1 on each side of the anterior of the bird under the thighs (thoracic). Others are in the brain, and abdominal spaces.
Let me see what I have saved on my computer, if I can find it, I'll post it.
Nevermind I thought y'all were talking about the air sacs not the crop. :oops:

I'd go for the crop bra suggestion. I had a (chicken) rooster looking similar to that chick - not quite as extreme, but pretty bad. I tried starving him, massaging the crop, making him vomit, syringe feed him with water/ACV for a week or two - nothing worked. Then I made a crop bra for him - just from an old bed sheet cut into a square with 4 straps to tie on his back. Within a day the crop was basically normal. Taking the crop bra off caused the issue to reappear so he was probably wearing it for 14 days before he was ok without it. He's had the issue once since, just put the crop bra back on for a week or so. He's been OK for several months since then.

I stopped getting notifications for this thread for some reason. :barnie

I have decided to get rid of the TX A&M birds and just stick with jumbo browns. They are easier to sex and that makes a significant difference for us.
I completely understand!! while I love all my birds, itā€™s very frustrating not knowing exactly how many males I have. Right now I have 3 crowing and mating routinely. (1 pharaoh, 1 falb fee, and 1 pansy) but with 50 out there I know thereā€™s more! still no eggs here either. I told hubby the other day that I should carry a pocket full of leg bands and every time I see mating activity or crowing catch and mark them!!

Back
Top Bottom