āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Within the last hour had my pheasant's started hatching. So far the eggs I 'marked' either male or female, have been correct. These are golden eggs, have other species that I'll have to wait until they are about 4 to 5 months old to see if they turn out to be what I marked the eggs as....hope it holds true, then I can cull before even incubating.

Last edited:
Within the last hour had my pheasants start hatching. So far the eggs I 'marked' either male or female, have been correct. These are golden eggs, have other species that I'll have to wait until they are about 4 to 5 months old to see if they turn out to be what I marked the eggs as....hope it holds true, then I can cull before even incubating.
What do golden pheasant eggs look like?

You need a turkey from @Sara L ! She is about to have a self described army. :lau

:oops: apparently the turkeys have better fertility than the quail. 32 turkey eggs went into lockdown, plus 8 chicken eggs. I just pulled the fluffy ones and there were 11 turkeys and 4 chickens. 2 more turkeys out in the incubator and at least 6 pips I could see.

Everyone around pville has wild turkeys nesting in their gardens, destroying everything in the process lol
My turkeys are well behaved and much prettier than the wild ones.

I would NOT be plucking if I had that many to do at once, either!

That said, I am curious to try the little teeny quail-sized tumbling plucker.
I have one we can try when you visit next, I only used it once so far. I think there's a learning curve to it.

What do golden pheasant eggs look like?
Like a bantam egg, size wise, cream colored. Here's some different species of pheasant eggs.
20190430_232235.jpg

Left to Right:
Southern Caucasus, Bianchi, Reeves, Scintillating Copper, Red Golden
All golden eggs are the same color, so are Lady Amherst, light cream color. My melanistics haven't started to lay yet...free loaders,:gig their eggs are a dark green/olive color.

Last edited:
007Sean, how are you supposed to be able to tell pheasent eggs containing males and females apart?
It's just my theory but I have seen other peeps who have conducted the same kind of observances. The more pointed eggs will be male, the less pointed more rounded small end will be female. I did this last year but didn't keep good records, so decided to try my hypothesis again, and keep records this year. Heres a pick of the 1st two golden eggs to hatch. The reason for using Goldens, is they can be sexed at hatch. The other species of pheasants, I'll band the chicks with a small zip tie until they mature enough to see if the theory was correct.
20190501_005926.jpg

20190501_004518.jpg

Hard to tell in the pics but the egg 'marked' with the sign for male is distinctly more pointed. The egg 'marked' female, is hard to see the mark in the pic but it's what looks like an X on the.lower right side of the egg.
ETA - there was a half a day difference in hatch time so there was no mistake in which one hatched from which egg! The male hatched 1st.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom