āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Turn around...don't drown.

You getting this wetness over there?
It will not stop here.

I'm just waiting for the power to go out.

Ugh. Ur weather comes directly here fyi :tongue

And i finally set the eggs this AM(had to wait til the others hatched 2 Svart Hona 3 BLRW,) jus didnt have time to announce until now :oops:
twin 2 yr old boys got 4 shots each today :th

Turn around...don't drown.

You getting this wetness over there?
It will not stop here.

I'm just waiting for the power to go out.
Yeah the weather doesn't hit here until weekends....right at lockdown and hatching! I'm ready to ship Easter batch outside but between the rain and low temps dipping down as low as 49 Ive got to keep them with heat for another week or so!

What would be the most secure kind of lock/handle/hardware for opening/locking an aviary? We have raccoons, possums, foxes, coyote, neighborhood cats, etc. The aviary will be secure with hwc, redwood framing, 10000+ washers, and cemented redwood posts.

Also should i get motion sensor flood lights for facing away from the aviary? I think I'm going to put little garden solar lights up the path, unless that proves more inviting to predators

Thanks! :bow

Yeah the weather doesn't hit here until weekends....right at lockdown and hatching! I'm ready to ship Easter batch outside but between the rain and low temps dipping down as low as 49 Ive got to keep them with heat for another week or so!

Wow, Iā€™ve had my Easter chicks (quail and chicken) outside within 5 days of hatch and no heat for the last week at least. Will go out shortly to see how they did after the storms this morning after moving them into the aviary yesterday.

I canā€™t speak to lighting for or against predators but I have always used a latch that requires you to pull a cover back or up rather than just pushing like on a caribiner clip. They can push something on accident but pulling back takes a thought process and dexterity if that makes sense.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EALSWJQ/?tag=backy-20

What would be the most secure kind of lock/handle/hardware for opening/locking an aviary? We have raccoons, possums, foxes, coyote, neighborhood cats, etc. The aviary will be secure with hwc, redwood framing, 10000+ washers, and cemented redwood posts.

Also should i get motion sensor flood lights for facing away from the aviary? I think I'm going to put little garden solar lights up the path, unless that proves more inviting to predators

Thanks! :bow

Wow, Iā€™ve had my Easter chicks (quail and chicken) outside within 5 days of hatch and no heat for the last week at least. Will go out shortly to see how they did after the storms this morning after moving them into the aviary yesterday.

I canā€™t speak to lighting for or against predators but I have always used a latch that requires you to pull a cover back or up rather than just pushing like on a caribiner clip. They can push something on accident but pulling back takes a thought process and dexterity if that makes sense.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EALSWJQ/?tag=backy-20
I switched to that model years ago when a cat would sit on top of the post and play with the regular hook, unlatching it, and letting my horse out.

So I ordered 30 eggs, received 36, one arrived damaged and one was dropped by my 6-year-old when he was helping me load the incubator this morning. So 34 eggs are set for day 1.

Still not convinced I trust the temperature. Tried several thermometers and thought I was pretty confident but this morning it read low. Maybe fluctuations in room temp? I wrapped a towel around the base. Wait and watch I guess.

So I ordered 30 eggs, received 36, one arrived damaged and one was dropped by my 6-year-old when he was helping me load the incubator this morning. So 34 eggs are set for day 1.

Still not convinced I trust the temperature. Tried several thermometers and thought I was pretty confident but this morning it read low. Maybe fluctuations in room temp? I wrapped a towel around the base. Wait and watch I guess.
Wrapping the base will give the false impression of stability, while limiting the flow of fresh air into the bator. It's better to find a location that doesn't vary in temperatures more than a couple of degrees either way.

Really sick of this weather. May 8th. On the bright side, weā€™re looking forward to a high of 54 by Saturday. Today weā€™re supposed to have 4-6ā€ of snow. :rolleyes:

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom