➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

The roof on that looks like it'd catch wind gusts, you might anchor it heavily to prevent teetering. But the double decker design looks good!

Hmm that’s a good point. Didn’t think of that. Although we don’t really get very much wind here so maybe it wouldn’t be a problem? It would be good for the rain and snow though. I might put it next to the garage if it would fit which might help with wind? But yeah, I thought the double decker thing was neat. And looks well built and roomy.

Do you think it would be overkill for me to have two 5gal waterers and two 5gal auto feeders?
if you end up having that many birds, those size feeders/waterers should be fine. I’m planning to “bite the bullet” and order a “covered range feeder” soon that holds more feed. I had an “automatic deer feeder” That threw treats but I just pulled it out as I felt like the “noise” could be triggering some of the “aggression” issues. with waterers you just have to watch for algae growth, “malfunctions” and freeze prevention.

Thanks! That makes sense! What about about the rabbit hutches? Is it fairly easy to build something like that? We have tons of HC already but I’ve never built anything before. My dad did most of the building of the chicken coop and all the wood cutting and everything. I just sometimes (barely) helped nail some stuff haha

Do you think it’s worth it to buy some adult quail locally, either those or others, or should I just wait and get some eggs? I bought an incubator in March but haven’t hatched anything yet. Was gonna use it in the Easter HAL but never got around to it. :oops:
I think you will be happier incubating eggs! I would recommend ordering 30 from myshire. You could choose an assortment for pretty colors or if you want to know how many males/females from day 1, zack offers sex-link! The females are roux dilute (“egyptian”) and males are pharaoh
Great “starter” birds and you will immediately be able to plan housing/re-homing.

Uggggh. I've been trying to figure out where I can shove a quail fridge but no dice yet. Might have to put it at friend's house but no one tell her.

I am confident we'll succeed in the futurrrre! I went thrifting for a bigger cooler today, one that won't be too small for a not small auto turner. No dice there either.
Try yard sales or fb marketplace. I picked up one of the coolers last year for $5 at a yard sale. Inkbird thermostat, 2 lightbulbs and fixtures, an outlet plug, a computer fan and some wiring. Maybe less than $50 in parts all together, probably closer to $40. Thermostat was around $15 on eBay/Amazon.

All very beautiful birds! :love I want to steal #2. This thread has made DD1 want to build a quail avery instead of having quail cages.

Question; Does anybody have their quail in an avery setting & if so, how big is it?
Mine is 8x8. These are my egg layers, I have 12 in there. My grow outs are in cages inside a coop.
IMG_20190511_155645.jpg

IMG_20190623_185352.jpg

I think you will be happier incubating eggs! I would recommend ordering 30 from myshire. You could choose an assortment for pretty colors or if you want to know how many males/females from day 1, zack offers sex-link! The females are roux dilute (“egyptian”) and males are pharaoh
Great “starter” birds and you will immediately be able to plan housing/re-homing.

Thanks!! This is great info!! I think I will do that. I was actually planning on ordering from Myshire anyway. Or getting some from Kiki haha just didn’t know if I should buy some adult birds instead. But I suppose I should probably actually use the incubator I bought haha although maybe I should start with some free or local eggs and get incubating experience before I buy eggs? Or do you think it will be okay?

Mine is 8x8. These are my egg layers, I have 12 in there. My grow outs are in cages inside a coop.
View attachment 1852140
View attachment 1852141

Love that! It looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom