➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Had a nice reprieve from the heat today and was able to get a lot of outside chores done. Dispatched the extra roosters first thing then worked on cleaning out their side of the coop. Discovered the bedding was wet underneath in a large area around the waterer. Not sure how I missed it before but apparently some of the nipple waterer things have been leaking. I am going to try wrapping the threads in plumbing tape and reinstalling to see if that helps. Anyone with experience?.

The vertical nipple waterers will leak if they’re not straight up and down. If that’s the problem, plumbers’ tape or pipe goop won’t matter. A crooked bail on your bucket or hanging string that’s not centered can cause the bucket to cant off vertical. IME, they don’t leak if they’re snug but it’s easy for them to work loose for some reason. Finger tightening works for me but you might need a pliers if you can’t tighten them enough. It’s possible to over tighten, which can also cause leaking. Just snug is best.

I've gone back to eating Keto, which means no carbs and those little 4 week old quail are looking quite appetizing. I don't know if I can wait another month! That recipe Kiki posted awhile back had me drooling. They are getting quite big, I'll have to compare them to my grown hens today.

What's the earliest any of you have processed?

I've gone back to eating Keto, which means no carbs and those little 4 week old quail are looking quite appetizing. I don't know if I can wait another month! That recipe Kiki posted awhile back had me drooling. They are getting quite big, I'll have to compare them to my grown hens today.

What's the earliest any of you have processed?
As soon as you are hungry enough. It's never too early.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping my babies grow really fast because really need some cage room.

As soon as you are hungry enough. It's never too early.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping my babies grow really fast because really need some cage room.
ditto on the cage room. I'm planning to get cage wire this weekend though and expand my pens. I've been selling off my chicken and turkey flock and plan to move the quail grow out pens to the larger coop as soon as I have the flock decimated enough.

Candled my latest batch yesterday. The jumbos had the lowest development rate at 61%, followed by my backyard birds. The mixed eggs had 85% developed! All clear eggs were clear, no start and quits.
The jumbo and mixed are from Myshire?
It just the jumbo.

I can't keep everyone's batches straight.

X2. Especially when also having kids, dogs, birds, etc. to take care of and a job and everything else going on. Kiki is Superwoman LOL
I peed.
I'm Do not have superpowers I promise I'm just not lazy.
And I am a professional multitasker.

Back
Top Bottom