➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

yes awesome pics! thanks for posting! hubby did a couple a little different last week and I’ve got to get a video to post. Basically same as you showed but removed legs and used his thumb to removed the rib cage from the breast (deboned it) fried them up for breakfast and oh soooo good!! boneless quail nuggets and quail legs!!

with frying birds he coats them with flour and then uses a wash (beer, quail eggs, and sometimes a little buttermilk)
then he rolls them in flour with seasonings and then fries them up! with fried veggies (squash and green tomatoes) he does same but seasoned flour mix is 50% bread crumbs.
I'll have to try that deboning. Sometimes I fry with legs attached, sometimes I fry those separate since they cook so fast.

I think you might be seeing the guts. I've cleaned everything up or I'd snap a picture of the backbone by itself. I will next time.

I don’t think so but maybe? Idk lol I do see those but what’s the light pink part? Haha

But thank you, I’d appreciate that haha

@ketojenn @Texas Kiki

This part here. The light pink part. Looks like meat to me? Maybe you keep that part? Idk. I’m confused lol

I’m sure I’m just being stupid and missing something :lau :oops:

807DB2EB-0C62-4204-ADDC-555D335A9A37.png
55B84A68-005F-4632-86FB-ED492B942B32.jpeg
AFE6E8A9-5BF7-483B-9E1F-D5E7C0FF8A00.png

Had my daughter get some pictures tonight while processing some quail. They could be better, but I tried to show how I remove the backbone and open them up.

Skinned and ready to open up.
View attachment 1864250

Cutting along the back
View attachment 1864259

Cut along both sides
View attachment 1864260
Remove back
View attachment 1864265

Now I try to pop it open by breaking the wishbone area.
View attachment 1864268

Then just pull and wipe everything out.
View attachment 1864271

View attachment 1864267

All done!
View attachment 1864273

View attachment 1864275

Takes maybe 5 minutes per bird. I like to fry these in butter for breakfast:drool
Thanks for this, Jen! Very helpful. :) I still have no quails, but I think I may try it with my next batch of broilers, or some of them, anyway. It takes me quite a while to disembowel. I’m not sure why. Maybe I’m just being too delicate about it. Anyway, I really like the spatchcocked chickens for cooking on the grill.

Looks delicious! Though I’m curious... don’t you lose a lot of meat pulling the backbone/whole middle out like that? Looks like there’s still a lot of meat attached?
You can save the backbones for bone broth/stock, if you like. Just add them to your chicken bones, necks etc. I keep a ziplock in the freezer for extra bits.

Back
Top Bottom