➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

View attachment 1932903 View attachment 1932904 my buttons are 9 weeks old today! i’m not seeing any red feathers on anyone, no “male” behaviors, and only 1 (brown one) has mostly solid black chin strap.....possible that all 4 female??
The first pic with just one bird, that is a female coloration. Remember a lot of the common button colors have a male color and female color. The light one on the left of the second picture also looks like a girl to me.

See this one weird feather on the light thing?
I just noticed it for the first time today.
View attachment 1933113 View attachment 1933114
i’ve had several like that....color “leakage”. your pics make more sense to me now!! i think your “light thing” is a german pastel, and dark thing is rosetta.....i believe your “redhead thing” may be an autumn amber

See this one weird feather on the light thing?
I just noticed it for the first time today.
View attachment 1933113 View attachment 1933114
they are all absolutely gorgeous!! DH gives me a hard time because the reason it takes us so long to complete a butcher day is because I pick based on favorite colors and he picks based on size!!! his new “measuring tool” is by holding them to see how much separation between his thumb and fingers to determine if they are big enough to butcher......I just say ok or no way!!! (and mostly take out pharaoh, egyptian and others that i have replacements for)

@CoturnixComplex so what are your current quails - size and colours? Do you breed them for meat or eggs? So yours suggestion on the silver hen is a Pharaoh male? If I pair with English white do you think it will be lethal? I could pair with a pure white Jumbo (A&M) but I don't breed for meet, I don't need size.

Well, I own birds all over the map in terms of size and color (I am a softie and have a big retirement pen of favorites that didn't make the breeding cut), but the ones I am actively working with now are charcoal/grau-fee, pearl-fee, falb-fee, roux dilute, and silver/blue, all with body weights between 8 oz and 12 oz and egg weights between 12g and 17g.

---

My rec just depends on what your goal is! I'd recommend a pharaoh for her precisely because I've no idea of her genetic makeup and that might give you a clue. For a normal silver it would just depend if you wanted more plain ones or some combination.

Back
Top Bottom