āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Thank you for the link!!!

I really wanted to see how a bunch of relatives stacked up next to each other visually. I wish there was a simpler way to actually indicate all of the relationships in the same place but those are some COMPLEX family trees now. :th I don't really have a good way to move it out of pedigree/spreadsheet form.

What spreadsheet?

My own spreadsheet!

All my birds have a unique number code, unique band color combo, bloodline/source, color, parentage info, weight, birthday, average egg weight, etc listed. Well, most; I'm a little behind updating it. I'm trying to get pictures of egg patterns on there at the moment too.

---

So, I didn't say anything about the hatch I was running because I neglected the crap out of it, semi-intentionally. Literally just threw a few dozen eggs in to dry hatch without any turning because I was out of town too often to baby them and wanted to see if I could still magic some chicks up if I put in 0 effort. A few surprised me by looking good at lockdown, but then did nothing until now (day 21), and I assumed an experiment failure.

Guys, the fattest chick I have ever hatched just popped out and at least one more is on the way. :woot

Okay @Texas Kiki ! I will turn them next time like I'm s'posed to but finally believe you and let my humidity hold WAAAAAAY lower. So much less work and so much less dramatic fluctuation.

He is legit 150% the average size of my newborn chicks :eek: From one of my 17g eggs!
IMG_20191017_232631056.jpg

I have actually never had such a late hatcher. Do they often have a harder time uncurling their feet? I am debating braces. Its only been about 8 hrs (I usually wait ~12-16) since he hatched but no sign of straightening at all yet and I don't want to chance it :/
How bad are they?
I've only dealt with a couple slightly curled feet that straightened out on their own within a day.

Is this dummy on grippy flooring?

How bad are they?
I've only dealt with a couple slightly curled feet that straightened out on their own within a day.

Is this dummy on grippy flooring?

They're pretty curled. :/

Yeah, mine usually do too, but it's usually noticeably better by now even when left on the atrocious hatch-mat thing. I'm too lazy to set up the brooder for 1 yet but I'll get him on a paper towel in there, see if that gets him going.

Back
Top Bottom