āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

They're SO LATE. This is the morning of day 22! I ran the incubator at the exact same temp as always; the only difference was the humidity and the turning (or lack thereof. I did do it whenever I was here and paying attention! Which was, er, a few days in the middle). Weird. Much fiddling is needed before next actual intentional big hatch in Nov. But for that round I swear I will put few enough in that they actually fit in the auto turner. :oops:

I hate those few moments after you splint them but before they figure out how to move, when they are just like "this is it. I have accepted death." :hit
IMG_20191018_062134084.jpg

I splinted the little one too. I am being much more proactive with them than I normally would be; I do think their poor feet got squished being in there so long. I do not normally have all come out with severe curling like this. I will unwrap them in ~6 hours to check for improvement.
IMG_20191018_061622969.jpg

In my limited experience, the late hatchers seem to have more curly feet problems. My first two hatches had chicks hatching over a space of several days, and the later ones all had curled toes to some extent. I was able to save a couple with the boots, but I had to cull a couple too.

This last batch didn't have any late hatchers, and there were no curled feet. :celebrate

The 3t probably would have been similar price with shipping...I will definitely keep it in mind in case what I got is not what I'm expecting it to be
The polyethylene netting is ok for keeping the birds in but will not keep predators out. I covered a 'grow out' pen with it, (50' x 150') cause wire would have been too expensive...coons got in twice, loss all the birds, twice.

In my limited experience, the late hatchers seem to have more curly feet problems. My first two hatches had chicks hatching over a space of several days, and the later ones all had curled toes to some extent. I was able to save a couple with the boots, but I had to cull a couple too.

This last batch didn't have any late hatchers, and there were no curled feet. :celebrate
I tend to agree with @Nabiki , the longer it takes them to get out of the shell, the more likely they are to have curled toes and other leg problems. Don't know if it's because the tendons and other tissues are becoming dried out ( for lack of a better description) or the cramped space is forcing them into the curled position? Or maybe a combination of both?

Hey everybody! It's been a while since I've posted here. I hope your all doing well and that hatches are going well for those who are still hatching. :)

Our garage quail setup has been working well. I had to tweak the watering system just a bit because it was getting air locked thanks to a sagging hose. A whole mess of water later, I shortened one hose and lengthened 3 others and it's working better than ever. I still need to cull the excess males whenever I find the time - maybe Monday afternoon. I'd really like to take them time to pluck them, but we'll see if that kind of time is available.

DD has not come into the world just yet, but we are expecting any day now. :celebrate Pregnancy is taking it's toll on DW, so all projects have come to a screeching halt as I'm just trying to pick up the slack around the house and help her out best I can. I happened to come across some side jobs too recently for some extra $$ and that's taken up the little "free time" that I would have. Ready to pass out...:th

Back
Top Bottom