āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Im at 2 hatchlings from 4 good eggs at least one more is pipped. One pearl other maybe falb fee? To be determined.

I am really excited about this thing. Tell me what you think

20191018_184431.jpg

Getting some neat birds all the way around :love

Im at 2 hatchlings from 4 good eggs at least one more is pipped. One pearl other maybe falb fee? To be determined.

I am really excited about this thing. Tell me what you think

View attachment 1940159
Getting some neat birds all the way around :love
Like that color pattern! :thumbsup

Crazy how fast the days go by anymore! I worked in the duck pen today, time to separate/pair them up, & evict a couple of drakes. I never seem to get even close to everything I'd planned done in a day. Are there certain varieties/colors that are more aggressive than others?
with coturnix, I havenā€™t noticed any particular color being more aggressive as such, but generally speaking, the lighter colors tend to get bullied more as do the smaller ones. the females that take the most feather damage are typically the ones that wonā€™t submit easily to the males.

Live time!!!!!
I sooo much disagree with the colouring that I didn't even watch the whole video. No way Manchurians are different than Italians. So far there hasn't been a decent explanation what the differenceS are. Same for Wildtype and Pharaoh, they are the same, no difference. Celadon is a colour? Rosetta and Tibetan - so far NOBODY has been able to explain to me at least 3 differences in these two. Jumbo refers to size not colour.. My conclusion - coming up with new colours has commercial purpose.

with coturnix, I havenā€™t noticed any particular color being more aggressive as such, but generally speaking, the lighter colors tend to get bullied more as do the smaller ones. the females that take the most feather damage are typically the ones that wonā€™t submit easily to the males.
In 3 different hatchings I noticed the most bullied ones were the English whites (those with dot on the head and maybe some colouring on the feathers). Well the male Jumbo white that I had was also most aggressive to others. He was "unselected for attitude"- I stole that expression as I liked it :)

I sooo much disagree with the colouring that I didn't even watch the whole video. No way Manchurians are different than Italians. So far there hasn't been a decent explanation what the differenceS are. Same for Wildtype and Pharaoh, they are the same, no difference. Celadon is a colour? Rosetta and Tibetan - so far NOBODY has been able to explain to me at least 3 differences in these two. Jumbo refers to size not colour.. My conclusion - coming up with new colours has commercial purpose.
I thought that he said Golden Manchurians and Italians are soooo similar its hard to tell them apart.

Jumbo is referring to size.

Does 2 carrying the "white" gene lead to increased mortality of the embryos? I am/was confused by that topic. :idunno

@RUNuts
Omgoodness, how does one chick scalp another like that? :sick

What exactly is "crowing" when they're little, is it the standing tall & loud chirping thing that some do? :duc

@Texas Kiki
Ouch, what happened to her pretty face? Is it time for rooster tacos? :drool Can she still open/close her eyelid on that side? I've been watching their behavior to make sure they aren't too warm or cool. They're eating, drinking, sleeping & growing:love.
The broken head/face quail is a male.
Poor guy looked worse with all the blood.
I think he looks much better this morning.
He is crowing a lot.

20191016_090026.jpg
20191016_090048.jpg

As this is my 1st Coturnix hatch I'm very inexperienced & unknowledgeable as can be. I've got several tiny ones, but the bully aka "little pecker" is also one of the tiny ones, a red one with the yellow eyebrows. I'm yet to be able to determine varieties efficiently, I can only imagine how inefficiently I'll be at determining sex... I'll hafta wait till eggs are laid probably. :confused:oh well, I can only get better, right?

The broken head/face quail is a male.
Poor guy looked worse with all the blood.
I think he looks much better this morning.
He is crowing a lot.

I'm glad he's doing better today, he's soooooo pretty. I'd definitely have to make tacos out of the offender!

@Cedar Creek Farm Lady He crows at the end of this video.
Go back an listen starting at the 35 second mark.

Ah, thanks, I heard that but didn't realize that was what the crowing actually sounded like.

Back
Top Bottom