➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I'm going to throw my
2cents.gif
in on this, FWIW, I don't think feather color has anything to do with a bird being aggressive or passive.
I've had birds that were hatched, brooded, and raised together eventually become aggressive toward their pen mates. I've also paired up dissimilar birds with no problems at all, and at other times it just didn't work. IMHO, it depends on the bird(s) natural aggressive or passive tendencies. Each bird has it's own personality, just like humans.
I have several male Reeves pheasants that are aggressive towards humans but not towards other birds, either of their own species or a different species. I have also learned, 'the hard way', that Reeves chicks will get along with other species for a little while, until about a month old but after that they will kill anyother species in the same pen or brooder.
The same is true of my Bob's. They get along fine with other species, until they start to feather out, then all heck breaks loose. So to make a long story short, I don't think feather color has anything to do with aggressive or passive behavior.

The broken head/face quail is a male.
Poor guy looked worse with all the blood.
I think he looks much better this morning.
He is crowing a lot.
The bad attitude crowed a lot when with the others. Grow outs so co-ed coop. When I separated him, he crowed a lot more. Lonely. Even the neighbor commented because the crowing was very hard to miss.

5 more in the incubator + 12 in the brooder = 17 out of 21 are hatched with another couple pipped.
7 Yellow
2 golden/bleached - what do you call these? EYE-talian or manchurian or ?
8 Wild/normal/pharaoh

View attachment 1940239 View attachment 1940240
As this is my 1st Coturnix hatch I'm very inexperienced & unknowledgeable as can be. I've got several tiny ones, but the bully aka "little pecker" is also one of the tiny ones, a red one with the yellow eyebrows. I'm yet to be able to determine varieties efficiently, I can only imagine how inefficiently I'll be at determining sex... I'll hafta wait till eggs are laid probably. :confused:oh well, I can only get better, right?
This red one will be a red tuxedo.
I am 100 percent sure of it.

I'm glad he's doing better today, he's soooooo pretty. I'd definitely have to make tacos out of the offender!

Ah, thanks, I heard that but didn't realize that was what the crowing actually sounded like.
They have a cute little whistle silly noise crow.
They are dumb.

I'm going to throw my View attachment 1940234 in on this, FWIW, I don't think feather color has anything to do with a bird being aggressive or passive.
I've had birds that were hatched, brooded, and raised together eventually become aggressive toward their pen mates. I've also paired up dissimilar birds with no problems at all, and at other times it just didn't work. IMHO, it depends on the bird(s) natural aggressive or passive tendencies. Each bird has it's own personality, just like humans.
I have several male Reeves pheasants that are aggressive towards humans but not towards other birds, either of their own species or a different species. I have also learned, 'the hard way', that Reeves chicks will get along with other species for a little while, until about a month old but after that they will kill anyother species in the same pen or brooder.
The same is true of my Bob's. They get along fine with other species, until they start to feather out, then all heck breaks loose. So to make a long story short, I don't think feather color has anything to do with aggressive or passive behavior.

Ive always read and believed that the A&M are more likely to flip out. Do u think it is Soley because theyre so hard to sex(for novice) and then extra males cause aggression issues?

This red one will be a red tuxedo.
I am 100 percent sure of it.

Ornery little bugger that little red!

Heck no I wouldn't put DE on an open wound.

Mine that was injured I sprayed with Scarlex and put her in an isolation pen to heal. Before I released her to join the other juveniles I applied Desitin and a light dusting of the DE, just as camo to prevent pecking by the crowd. She's now at 100%, fully feathered back out as well. I know Kiki's opinion of DE, and I don't plan on using what I have left on any of my other birds. Do you think the little black/dark brownish one will be a tuxedo as well?

Attachments

• 20190908_162641.jpg
    20190908_162641.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190908_162634.jpg
    20190908_162634.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 3
Ornery little bugger that little red!

Mine that was injured I sprayed with Scarlex and put her in an isolation pen to heal. Before I released her to join the other juveniles I applied Desitin and a light dusting of the DE, just as camo to prevent pecking by the crowd. She's now at 100%, fully feathered back out as well. I know Kiki's opinion of DE, and I don't plan on using what I have left on any of my other birds. Do you think the little black/dark brownish one will be a tuxedo as well?
I couldn't see his whole body on that pic. Can you take another one of him?

Back
Top Bottom