➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

View attachment 1940239 View attachment 1940240
As this is my 1st Coturnix hatch I'm very inexperienced & unknowledgeable as can be. I've got several tiny ones, but the bully aka "little pecker" is also one of the tiny ones, a red one with the yellow eyebrows. I'm yet to be able to determine varieties efficiently, I can only imagine how inefficiently I'll be at determining sex... I'll hafta wait till eggs are laid probably. :confused:oh well, I can only get better, right?
I think he might be a Tibetan.

I sooo much disagree with the colouring that I didn't even watch the whole video. No way Manchurians are different than Italians. So far there hasn't been a decent explanation what the differenceS are. Same for Wildtype and Pharaoh, they are the same, no difference. Celadon is a colour? Rosetta and Tibetan - so far NOBODY has been able to explain to me at least 3 differences in these two. Jumbo refers to size not colour.. My conclusion - coming up with new colours has commercial purpose.

Look, imma say this once and only once. I do not like shit like this, and my instinct is to just fade away and ignore it every time it's brought up. But the confusion generated on this board by zack's attempt at being helpful is genuinely distressing to me.

The information is out there, and I wish people would go straight to it instead of choosing to listen to this secondhand, confusing, 70%-correct nonsense.

You are not correct about Italian/Manchurian; they are different genes but at the same locus. It's a bit confusing. I can send you some sources on the golden genes if you like.

Celadon is an eggshell color only. It can combine with anything.

Tibetans have 2 copies of extended red, red range/Rosetta have 1. Has held true for me in a limited test breeding.

I could not agree more with your last sentence. (Nor, might I add, has the breeder we're talking about created a single color. Bought from others, marketed, and produced in volume, sure).

Read the research studies. Read A&M's work. Listen to people who've been involved with these genetics for decades (and I'm not talking about me! Everything I say I've learned from one of the above, and I would rather send you straight to the source), not <5 years where most of that time has been spent developing a brand on Facebook.

Rant over. CC out.

Last edited:
@Texas Kiki
@mixedUPturk
@CoturnixComplex
Here's the photo from today of my teeny tiny one. Just look at the difference in size with it & the others.
20191021_144221.jpg
20191021_144610.jpg

What are you feeding them? Maybe time to split them into two seperate groups to alleviate overcrowding.

I'm feeding "Homegrown" gamebird starter feed, it's 28% protein. I was thinking the same thing as they're growing so fast. Maybe I'll take the "littles" and move them to another brooder. What size groups should they be broke into, 5 or 6 in each group?

Back
Top Bottom