➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Yes! That is an excellent strategy too!! I agree!! Although not sure his wife will appreciate more babies to care for when she just had one :lau :gig :lau

Although I guess if you set now, it’ll be a month before they hatch... plenty of time to break the news. :p
:yaEXACTLY!!!

:oops:My DH wanted to strangle me when he discovered I'd bought 90 coturnix eggs last weekend, and only had bator room for 30...... time for a bator upgrade!!! New one better be here tomorrow so I can set the other 59 eggs!:barnie

:oops:My DH wanted to strangle me when he discovered I'd bought 90 coturnix eggs last weekend, and only had bator room for 30...... time for a bator upgrade!!! New one better be here tomorrow so I can set the other 59 eggs!:barnie

It’s actually a perfect strategy now that I think about it!!!

And hahaha OMG!!! :eek:

I am very tempted to get the incubator setup and running again... :oops:
It's freezing outside, so most people up this way would expect a decrease or even total halt in egg production. However, our quail are quite comfortable in the garage. I'm collecting at least 20 eggs per day. I have about 200 quail eggs in the fridge right now! I could easily fill the incubator in just a few days (it holds 120 eggs). I'm still not selectively breeding with breeder cages, but I do have the generations separated to avoid parent/child breeding and most of my eggs are coming from the 1st generation birds still. The problem is I only have 1 empty cage right now. It could probably hold 24 adult quail. If I hatch a bunch, I'll possibly have too many to grow out in the current space available and I'm not looking to build another cage right now - I have enough work around the house and yard to get done right now as it is. I also don't know that I want to burden DW with more birds to care for since I'll be going back to work in 2 weeks - I'm on parental leave right now.

P.S.: Our daughter was born a week ago. I'm not sure if I told you all that yet.:lol:

Congratulations!!!!!! :wee

You don't have to fill the incubator completely you know, you can just put in 2 dozen, then they would fit the cage you have.

I do have the generations separated to avoid parent/child breeding
Parent to offspring breeding is line breeding and is an accepted and preferred method rather than breeding brothers to sisters. The latter method is the quickest way to bring out hidden recessive traits that are bad.

Inbreeding and Linebreeding

I can relate here every time I order eggs my wife tells me NO MORE EGGS! But somehow she hasn’t killed me when I order more

Back
Top Bottom