āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

1st- What is a MHP?:idunno
2nd- If they sleep in it that means they poo in it too! :sick

:goodpost:I like that plan. If I breed these & they have 3 eyes or Bill's or 2 heads I'll know I did something wrong, right?:eek:

That's how it's been here in Eastern Oklahoma! I was surprised nothing froze. Plus my broody hen outside had all 11 hatch, well one had zipped but didn't get all the way out, musta got chilled. :hit

MHP is Mama Heating Pad!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

1st- What is a MHP?:idunno
2nd- If they sleep in it that means they poo in it too! :sick

:goodpost:I like that plan. If I breed these & they have 3 eyes or Bill's or 2 heads I'll know I did something wrong, right?:eek:

That's how it's been here in Eastern Oklahoma! I was surprised nothing froze. Plus my broody hen outside had all 11 hatch, well one had zipped but didn't get all the way out, musta got chilled. :hit
What @007Sean said....I believe there is an article on here about making one!
And yes I watch closely for poo in the dish....I think because itā€™s stone, it must hold heat because thereā€™s always a few from each hatch that love sleeping in it!

What @007Sean said....I believe there is an article on here about making one!
And yes I watch closely for poo in the dish....I think because itā€™s stone, it must hold heat because thereā€™s always a few from each hatch that love sleeping in it!
I have pheasant chicks that sleep in the feed bowls every hatch! :lau mine are plastic.

:caf What did you just say? All I heard was Charlie Brown's teacher!!! :th
I think my backyard quail just got more complicated than I thought it was gonna be!!! :rant

I made the effort to create a diagram of what I was trying to say. I think it's easier to understand this way. What I haven't figured out yet if I will breed grandfather to granddaughter or grandmother to grandson. I think grandfather to granddaughter makes more sense since egg count drops fairly quickly with age in females from what I hear/read.
quail breeding method.jpg

If someone wants 240 eggs, the bidding for the current mix is only at 110. It ends in half an hour.
If I bid on anything else in the next 6 months I'm liable to lose my debit card & checkbook! :confused:

Yes for my babies I use the tray off a flower pot *repurpose* :D
That's a good idea. I repurpose everything & anything I can.

I made the effort to create a diagram of what I was trying to say. I think it's easier to understand this way. What I haven't figured out yet if I will breed grandfather to granddaughter or grandmother to grandson. I think grandfather to granddaughter makes more sense since egg count drops fairly quickly with age in females from what I hear/read.
View attachment 1949557
I do understand in theory what you're saying, I'm just not planning on getting into the family tree type of breeding. More like breed birds from set 1 with birds from set 2, and so on... thanks for the diagram, the visual did help.

Back
Top Bottom